Colonia High School Principal, Mr. Pace announces official school maxim

For all the years Colonia High School has been around there was never a definite motto presented to students. Colonia Principal Mr. Pace has decided to make a change and create an official slogan. A motto that not only could be used in school, but that could universally apply to student’s outside lives, as well.

The new motto is: “Character, Commitment, Community.” The motto was primarily inspired by the Latin phrase, “Sic Parvis Magna.” The inspiration for the current motto was found right on the wall in the front lobby and was a phrase popularly employed by Woodbridge’s new Superintendent Dr. Zega motto when he was Principal of CHS. Translated the phrase roughly means, “Greatness from Small Beginnings.” Since the average student cannot read Latin, Mr. Pace decided that he would create an English motto to help portray the Latin quote’s values.

“Having an official motto will probably bring a positive change to the school,” remarked Colonia High School sophomore James Miller. “I think it represents what our school stands for,” continued Miller.

The motto presents the three C’s or characterstics that many associate with the Colonia High School population. Students and teachers have demonstrated these characteristics widely around the school, and by having the motto it will help to encourage the same behavior throughout the school.

“We are looking to focus more on the Colonia ‘C’ from now on,” explained Mr. Pace, referring to the gold emblem which is emblazoned on the Varsity football team’s helmets.

“And we’re looking to move farther away from the old Patriot emblem,” explained Mr. Pace. For the past several years, the older Patriot logo has been steadily phased out of its association with the sports programs.

Likewise, Mr. Pace, who is entering his second year at the helm of Colonia High School, remarked that this year’s current motto has always “been a part of the community’s culture to begin with, as we have always been committed to academic excellence.”

The new motto has been in development for some time, according to the principal. “The administration team discussed the motto for a while; first we agreed on using the Latin variation of the phrase.”

The Latin version was ultimately scrapped, however, in favor of the motto’s current English form. “Most students don’t understand, or even care, about Latin phrases,” continued Mr. Pace.

Mr. Pace further described his future-oriented mindset stating, “I’m hopeful that the more this motto is repeated and reinforced, the more of our focus will be oriented on our community’s rich traditions and focus on the future.”