Colonia High School Choir and Band Come Together For The Annual Winter Concert

concert choir singing at the winter concert
Photo Credit: Frankie Brock
Singing beautiful Christmas carols, concert choir starts the winter festival with a bang.

After many practices, on December 7, 2017 Mrs. Bolton and Mr. Perdoni held their annual Winter Concert in the auditorium at Colonia High School.

Upon entering the building there is the art show with pieces from Ms. Lombardi, Ms. Aochoa, Ms. Celia, and Mrs. Singalewitch’s classes. Based on what class the student is in depends on what materials they use to make their piece. Introduction to Visual Art tests mixed pastels, graphite, white charcoal, and ink. Visual Art one uses chalk pastels, oil pastels, graphite pencils, color pencils, and acrylic paint. Visual Arts major three apply oil and mixed media.  Also advanced Placement Studio Art utilizes charcoal, prismacolor, and digital photography. 3D Design manipulates clay to make ceramics.

Seeing what students are able to make with these supplies that they don’t have access to on a regular basis is amazing. There is a display rack that students attach their art to and then there are hanging racks as well that are all different styles. For this being an art show having racks hanging from the ceiling every few feet looks a bit messy. It would be best to invest in a few more grounded display racks.

At 6:30 PM the concert had begun with Concert Choirs annual song What Child Is This? Soloists Julia Cleary, Anastasia Francisquini, and Miranda Redish performed the first stanza with their soft yet powerful voices and then the rest of the choir repeated that stanza as the walked in with candles in hand. But if there is going to be a solo when the rest of the choir walks in they should just continue where the soloists left off not repeat it twice, it is unnecessary. Concert Choir performed Madrigal of the Bells and The Prayer, in which they sung in Italian which was very impressing and then it was time for Concert Band. As always the band run by Mr. Perdoni was nothing less than success. Their countless practices never cease to amaze and always pay off in the end.  

Not too long after Women’s choir performed their traditional One Candle Lights The Way and then The Lark Ascending, by far that was an insane song. Those who are Soprano Ones had to sing extremely high which is expected, but this was different. Throughout the whole thing they rarely moved down the scale. You can only imagine what it is like to practice those high notes. After a while it must put a strain on their voices. Next came Wind Ensemble and they performed song December 7, 1941 “A Day Which Will Live In Infamy” based off the attack on Pearl Harbor. The performance of this song meant a lot, and brought attention back to such an important event in history. 

There was a 15 minute intermission where people used restrooms, got snacks, and check out the art. After Jazz band performed with the best drummer Natasha Ante. Everyone around was cheering her on so impressed with her skills. Mixed Chorus them came up to perform a few songs. They sung Where Are You Christmas? That many recall from How The Grinch Stole Christmas. The song was good, but before they sung “I feel you Christmas” there was a weird “Oh” going up the scale, it was in the lyrics, but it just doesn’t fit. Two songs later Grown Up Christmas List began and it was obvious a few seniors were sad that it was their last time performing this song. Some parents in the audience even teared up.

After the heartfelt experience the Acapatriots presented Some Nights bringing some happiness back. In this there were multiple solos with students Shainna Manalo, Julia Cleary, Kelly Branco, Alyssa Salvato, and Daniela Cruz. Not soon after students from show choir ran on stage so they could perform I Lived Choreographed by Niko Palivoda, which ended the concert with a bang! This Winter Concert happens every year so if you didn’t make it to this one you always have a chance to see it again, except with different song. Five out of Five Microphones for sure!