• CHS - Open House/Curriculum Orientation Feb. 7th

• Early Dismissal January 30th & 31st - Finals

• No School January 21st Martin Luther King Day

• Home Varsity Wrestling Match Wednesday and Friday at 6

• International Thespian Honor Society Induction January 10th

Black Friday online shopping dominates

Back to Article
Back to Article

Black Friday online shopping dominates

Seen here is a very crowded Macy's on Black Friday, with huge lines before the doors even open.

Photo Credit: Photo via Flikr under Creative Commons License

By: Kerri Lishak, Fall Reporter

Each and every day millions of people go shopping however; nothing compares to the deals on Black Friday. It is estimated that at least 164 million Americans go shopping on Black Friday. This is by far most popular retail holiday of the entire year.

Black Friday is the official start to the holiday shopping season. It is a day when stores throughout the country have the biggest discounts on the most popular items of the year. Many stores open early Thanksgiving evening, while others choose to open early the following morning. Retailers have also taken advantage of online sales offering Black Friday discounts  in the days leading up to Thanksgiving. Black Friday begins holiday sales leading into Cyber Monday. Although retailers try their best to get all of the shoppers out for Black Friday sales, many Americans like to spend the day with family and friends. They much rather stay home and shop online if at all on Thanksgiving.

Anti-Black Friday shopping

Although many criticize  the retailers who choose to open on Thanksgiving, the day has become a day retailers rely on for gaining much profit, making Thanksgiving the most valuable day to for the retail market. Some big named stores  remained closed on Thanksgiving this year. Stores such as Nordstrom, Costco, Sam’s Club, Marshalls and many others remained closed. The companies stating that everyone’s time should be spent with their families. These stores did however open for shoppers bright and early Friday morning.

Pro-Black Friday shopping

Journalism and English teacher, Danielle Allen, loves Black Friday shopping. “I go shopping with the understanding that I will have to wait in line (possibly in the cold) and will get cut in line as well. I go with the understanding that I most likely will get pushed, elbowed or hit with with a cart. Despite all that, I love a bargain and feel accomplished when I get a head start on my holiday shopping and get a discount all at the same time.” Allen added that she will not go shopping on Thanksgiving until after 9 P.M. to allow workers to spend the holiday with their loved ones. She also felt that this year’s Thanksgiving night shopping didn’t seem to have the mobs she normally sees. According to Allen, the line wait-time was about 15 minutes for most stores.

Stats on Black Friday shopping

This year, Thanksgiving and Black Friday was proved to be the busiest shopping day of 2018 for retailers. Although brick and mortar sales are declining, internet sales continue to grow at a steady pace. In-store shopping has declined in the past three years. Don’t feel sorry for the retail industry though, overall sales will most likely grow over 4.1% this holiday season. Early numbers indicate 2018 Thanksgiving and Black Friday sales were down 1% , but should pick-up over the next few weeks. Reports are saying that the average shopper will go on to spend $1,007.24 this holiday season, with $637.67 of that on gifts. The use of the remainder of the funds being on items such as food and decorations leading up to the holidays. That’s up an additional $40.11 per person over last year’s spending.

Teenagers even made the shopping experience a social event while using resources such as social media and playing games while waiting on long lines.  Instead of this, others took advantage of purchasing items online while in the mall or outlet stores.  Some experts predicted about 30% of people planned to do the majority of their Black Friday shopping online this year. Around 19% of people will choose to shop only in stores. Sophomore, Emily Melendez states, “Online shopping is more convenient and has a more options than in stores so I choose to do my shopping from home.” Either way, Black Friday seems to be an event Americans enjoy and look forward to for their holiday bargain shopping.

Kerri Lishak, Reporter

Kerri Lishak is a 15 year old sophomore at Colonia High School. She attended St. John Vianney her whole life and enrolled in public school her freshman...