Coronavirus Precautions – How to stay safe

Washing your hands is one of the best ways to stay safe from the Coronavirus.
Photo Credit: Photo via Flickr under creative commons license

The Coronavirus is a new illness that is quickly spreading. First appearing in Wuhan, China in December, it has quickly infected many countries in every continent. 

Inform Others about Coronavirus

Informing yourself on how the virus spreads is one of the most important parts of staying safe. The virus is spread person-to-person, which is why avoiding being exposed to the virus is a huge precaution. Staying away from large groups and crowded places show many benefits. Many schools and businesses across the country are shutting down to limit the spread.

The virus is spread when people are within six feet of each other if one is infected. Through respiratory droplets, such as through a cough or sneeze, the coronavirus can last on hard surfaces for a bit of time as well. This is a reason you should disinfect surfaces and devices often. It can be inhaled into the lungs of the other person, infecting them as well.

There is no cure, or current vaccine found to protect the world against the CO-VID 2019. But taking steps to protect yourself, and different precautions can lessen the chance of you getting the virus. 

Hand-Washing

Health officials have said that one of the best ways to protect yourself from the virus, is to wash your hands. Personal hygiene should be a priority normally, but especially now.

Washing your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds is a step in the right direction. It is especially important to clean your hands after you have been in a public place, after you have blown your nose from sneezing or after you’ve coughed.

How to properly wash your hands:

1. Wash your hands with clean, running water, turn off the tap and apply soap.
  2. Lather your hands by rubbing them together with the soap.
  3. Scrub your hands for over 20 seconds. (It is recommended that you sing the Alphabet, or Happy Birthday twice to be able to count to twenty). 
  4. Rinse your hands well under clean, running water.
  5. Dry your hands using a clean towel or air dry them.

If soap and water is not available, it is still important to keep your hands clean. You can use a hand sanitizer that contains 60% alcohol. 

Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth, as this can limit the spread of germs.

Social Distancing

Mentioned previously, avoiding large amounts of people is beneficial to lessen the spread of the virus. Social distancing is a method to try and limit the interaction of people who could be infected.

Canceling events that draw crowds such as sporting events, staying out of largely crowded public places such as restaurants and schools, and stopping interaction in a workplace are all examples of social distancing.

All in all, the Coronavirus is very frightening. The world does not know much about it, except the fact that it is spreading quickly. To try and lessen the spread, it is important to take precautions to stay safe, like washing your hands!