An in depth look at the newest members of the basketball Hall of Fame

Photo Credit: photo via wikimedia commons under the creative commons license
On April 4 Kobe Bryant, along with Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett were elected into the baseball hall of fame.

On April 4, Kobe Bryant, Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett were elected into the basketball hall of fame.  All these guys were great players, but for different reasons.

Kobe Bryant

Undoubtedly, In his 20 year career Kobe Bryant established himself as one of the greatest to ever live. Bryant won the 2008 MVP, made the all NBA 1st team 11 times and made the all star team 18 times. Also, he made the all defensive 1st team 9 times, lead the league in scoring twice and won 2 finals MVPs. Beyond that he was known for always giving 100 percent. Unfortunately, Kobe is not be with us to see this honor. His wife and kids are proud of Kobe for his legendary career.

Kobe averaged 25 points over his career. However, his career high was in 2006. In 2006 he scored 35 points to lead the league. Kobe’s MVP season in 2008 he averaged 27 points, 5 rebounds and 5 assists on 47 FG%. Also, he lead the Lakers to the best record in the west.

Tim Duncan

Without a doubt, Tim Duncan quietly had one of the best careers in NBA history. In his 19 year career he won two MVPs, made the all NBA 1st team 10 times and made 15 all star games. Along with that he made 8 all defensive first teams and won 3 finals MVPs. Duncan was a quiet guy. His play style was very fundamental. However, opponents knew not to let that fool them. Unquestionably, Duncan could get buckets with the best in the league in his prime. Along with that he always was a defensive stud from start to finish. He finished first in the league in defensive win shares 5 times.

Duncan averaged 19 points and 11 rebounds in his career. His best season was in 2003. This year he averaged 25 points and 13 rebounds. This was his 2nd MVP season.  In addition, he kept the dominance rolling in the playoffs. He led the Spurs to a championship and won his 2nd career finals MVP.

Kevin Garnett

Last but not least, Kevin Garnett rounds out this historic class. From 1995-2016 he made the all NBA 1st team 4 times, all defensive 1st team 9 times and won the 2004 MVP. In addition, he won the 2008 defensive player of the year, made the all star team 15 times and won the 2008 championship. Garnett always played the game with energy. He was a competitive person. He always wanted to win. Without a doubt, his two way abilities are some of the best the game has ever seen.

Garnett averaged 18 points and 10 rebounds. clearly, his best year was in 2004 where he averaged 24 points and 13 rebounds. This was his lone MVP season. However, Garnett wanted to win a ring. Garnett was traded to Boston in the 2007 off season. In his first year in Boston he won a championship.

A Great Group

Without a doubt, all three of these players are the greatest of the greats. This may just be the best hall of fame class of all time. Rarely in any sport are three top five players from a generation selected to the hall of fame together. I’d like to thank each of them for everything they did for basketball.