U.S. events that kickstart the new decade

Photo Credit: photo via Flickr under the Creative Common License
Leaving many people homeless, Hurricane Ida destroys the home of many in 2021.

Starting off the decade, let’s look back to some of the major events in the year 2021.

January 6 insurrection   

In the attempt to stop Congress from confirming Joe Biden as the 46th president, a mob of rioters trespassed into the Capitol. The Capitol Complex was put on lockdown as lawmakers and staff were being evacuated as rioters rushed into the Capitol. More than 2,000 people stormed into the building. Several people were injured, including 138 police officers, and 5 died. After a year later, the FBI is still after those who were involved. As of January 18, 2022, there have been more than 700 people have been caught.                              

First Female, Asian, and Black Vice President

On January 22nd, 2021, the United States inaugurated its first female, Asian, and Black Vice President, Kamala Harris. Since the U.S. government was formed, all 48 Vice-Presidents were all white males. Vice President Harris was born to two immigrant parents, her mom from India and her dad from Jamaica. Not only that, but she was also California’s first Black female attorney general and second Black woman elected to the U.S. Senate.

Hurricane Ida

Causing destruction through the east coast, Hurricane Ida destroyed the homes of many. The Atlantic hurricane lasted over 2 weeks starting on August 26 2021. Hurricane Ida was labeled as a category 4 hurricane. There was heavy rainfall, tornados, and winds that went up to 150 mph. It was the 2nd most damaging hurricane after Hurricane Katrina. Hurricane Ida caused agriculture damage that cost up to $584 million in the U.S. It also caused the deaths of 115 people in both the U.S. and Venezuela. More than a week later, Hurricane Ida dissipated on September 4.

Derek Chauvin 

On May 25, 2020, Officer Derek Chauvin knelt on George Floyd’s neck for 9 minutes. The incident was caught on camera and took over social media. The incident brought attention to police brutality as people took to social media and the streets to fight for justice for Floyd. On March 8, 2021, Chauvin was put on trial for second-degree unintentional murder, third-degree murder, and second-degree manslaughter. Later on April  20, he was convicted of the charges, and on June 25, 2021, he was sentenced to 22 12 years in prison.

Olympics

Gymnast Simone Biles withdrew from the 2021 Olympics due to mental health issues. After experiencing twisties during one of her events, Biles decided it best for her mental health to not continue with the 2021 Olympics. This was a momentous event in the sports industry. As a result, Biles’s withdrawal sparked a conversation about mental health within athletes.