Women in the car industry

Photo Credit: Photo via Wikicommons under creative commons license
4.3% of woman under the hood of a car

Women have come a long way in the car industry. From being a rare sight on the manufacturing floor to now holding key positions in top car companies, women have made significant strides in the industry. Women face challenges in the car industry and fight to overcome them.

The car industry has traditionally been a male-dominated industry. According to the National Institute for Automotive service excellence, women make up only 2% of auto mechanics and technicians. Women also hold less than 10% of executive positions in the automotive industry.

CHALLENGES:

One of the biggest challenges women face in the car industry is discrimination. Women are often subjected to sexist remarks and harassment on the job. They are also paid less than their male counterparts for doing the same job. Women have had to fight hard to prove themselves in the industry and to be taken seriously.

Another challenge women face in the car industry is the lack of female role models. Women who work in the industry often feel isolated and alone. They do not have many female colleagues to turn to for advice and support. This can make it difficult for women to advance in their careers and to feel confident in their abilities.

Despite these challenges, women have made significant progress in the car industry. They have proven themselves to be just as capable as men and have held key positions in top car companies.

THE SIGNIFICANCE:

These women have broken down barriers and challenged stereotypes, paving the way for future generations of women to succeed in the industry. Here are just a few examples of women who have left their mark on the car industry.

One of the most notable women in the car industry is Mary Barra, the CEO of General Motors. Mary Barra is the current CEO of General Motors, a position she has held since 2014. She is the first woman to lead a major global automaker. Barra has been credited with helping to turn around GM’s fortunes and improve its corporate culture.
Prior to becoming CEO, Barra spent over three decades at GM, working her way up from an entry- level position to become a top executive. Her innovation and customer satisfaction is what she’s known for. She recognized as one of the most powerful women in business.

Another woman who has made a name for herself in the car industry is Linda Jackson. Jackson is the CEO of Citroën and has been credited with turning the company around. She has been recognized for her leadership skills and has won numerous awards for her contributions to the industry.

One woman who has made a significant contribution to the design of cars is Shiro Nakamura. Nakamura is the former chief creative officer for Nissan and has been credited with creating some of the company.

OTHER CONTRIBUTIONS:

Women have made significant contributions to the car industry in a number of ways.

1. Design and engineering:

Women have been involved in car design and engineering for many years, contributing to the development of innovative technologies and designs. For example, Florence Lawrence invented the first automatic signaling arm for cars in 1914, which later became the basis for turn signals.

2. Racing:

Women were involved in racing since the early days of the sport but as pit-bunnies or navigation technicians.  In the 1950s, Denise McCluggage competed in several major Motorsport events breaking the barrier for women in the sport. She later became a respected automotive journalist. McCluggage later became a respected automotive journalist, writing for publications such as Sports Illustrated and The New York Times.

View Comments (1)