Year in Review: Rising artists to watch out for in 2024

Photo Credit: Keinoflo
During the Brooklyn Soundcloud Next Wav event in 2022, Ice Spice came out to perform

As we enter another year, we can look back at the wonderful highlights of 2023. Upcoming artists on the rise and new albums being released have made the music of 2023 truly memorable.

Upcoming Artists

Many new artists have shown up on the music scene throughout all genres of music, ranging from R&B to country. 

Rap

Ice Spice has definitely left a lasting impression this year. Ice Spice gained major recognition from her single, “Munch (Feelin’ U)”. Many also know her from her hits “Boy’s a Liar”, “Princess Diana”, “In Ha Mood”, and “Deli.” She has been named “rap’s new princess” by notable publications such as the New York Times and Billboard and is even nominated for 4 Grammys in 2024. 

Known for “Pound Town”, “SkeeYee”, and her feature on Drake’s “Rich Baby Daddy”, Sexyy Red is also one of the biggest breakout rap artists. On June 9, 2023, she released her second album, Hood Hottest Princess

R&B

Coco Jones (one of my personal favorites) and Victoria Monét have achieved incredible success in the R&B genre. Both have earned nominations for the Grammy Award for Best New Artist.

Jones doubles as an actress as well, gaining prominence from the Disney Channel film “Let It Shine” and the Peacock series “Bel-Air”. Her single “ICU” propelled her to further success, securing a BET award in 2023, and earning her nominations for 5 Grammy Awards in 2024.

Monét released her debut studio album Jaguar II in 2023 which included her hit single “On My Mama.” She’s nominated for 7 Grammy Awards including Best R&B Song, Best R&B Album, and Record of the Year. 

Pop & Country

Other upcoming artists include Laufey, Zach Bryan, and Gracie Abrams. Laufey gained major recognition from social media platforms such as TikTok and Instagram. Many know her from her viral jazz-pop songs, “Valentine”, “Falling Behind”, and “From the Start”. Her second studio album Bewitched came out in September 2023 and is nominated for the Grammy Award Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album. 

Zach Bryan, a country singer, debuted his self-titled album in August 2023 which hit #1 on Billboard 200. He is nominated for 3 Grammy Awards this year: Best Country Album, Best Country Song, and Best Country Duo/Group Performance. Many people including junior Jayla Seepersaud think that his song “Burn, Burn, Burn” is very sad especially if you’re going through something. Leah Attoley, a Junior at High School commented, “Zach Bryan is inspirational. Especially his song revival.”

Likewise, Gracie Abrams released her first album Good Riddance in February 2023. Her song “Everywhere, Everything” featuring Noah Kahan (who’s also a new artist) entered Billboard Hot 100. Throughout 2023, she performed as an opening act on the Taylor Swift Eras Tour. Now she’s currently nominated for the Best New Artist Grammy Award. Colonia High School senior, Nabeeha Atif comments, “I believe Gracie Abrams’ music is really deep and precise, as well as thoughtful. Honestly, I feel like it’s very relatable…with what I’m feeling. It’s really soothing and therapeutic to listen to her music.”