March 20, 1990- Lakers retire Kareem Abdul-Jabbar’s number

Photo Credit: Flickr

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is one of the most notable and influential players in basketball history. The Lakers have had many legendary players and coaches throughout their team history but few have stood out the way Kareem Abdul-Jabbar did. Abdul-Jabbar spent 14 of his 20 seasons in the NBA with the Lakers and won 5 of his 6 rings, playing a key role in each Finals victory. Pairing with Magic Johnson, they created one of the most dynamic duos in NBA history. On top of all this history, he also played a significant role in one of the most classic rivalries in sports, the Lakers and Celtics. In 1990, the Lakers retired the 19-time all-star’s number 33. The ceremony came just 1 year after the legend’s retirement. After announcer Chick Hearn introduced Abdul-Jabbar, he was given a 2 minute standing ovation. Afterwards, he delivered a nice, brief speech thanking his teammates, coaches, the organization and the fans for the 14 seasons he spent with them. Whether it was during his professional career or his collegiate career at UCLA, Abdu-Jabbar was always a dominant force on the court. A major part of his Hall of Fame career was his perfection of the “Sky Hook”. His sky hook is known as one of if not the most unstoppable shot in basketball.