Pickleball: the fast-growing sport sweeping the nation

If interested in joining a pickleball team or playing, The Woodbridge Community Center pickleball courts. See the flier and their website for more information.
Photo Credit: Woodbridge Community Center

Pickleball, a sport that blends elements of tennis, badminton, and ping-pong, has been steadily gaining popularity across the United States and beyond. Originating in the mid-20th century, this engaging and accessible game has captured the hearts of players of all ages and skill levels. Let’s take a look into the history, rise to fame, and guidelines of pickleball.

History

Pickleball was invented in 1965 by Joel Pritchard, a congressman from Washington State, and his friend Bill Bell. Legend has it that the game’s name comes from the Pritchard family dog, Pickles, who would chase after balls during their matches. Originally played on a makeshift court in Pritchard’s backyard using ping-pong paddles and a perforated plastic ball, pickleball quickly gained popularity among friends and neighbors. Soon, the game spread to community centers, retirement communities, and recreational facilities across the country.

Rise of fame

Over the past few decades, pickleball has experienced a surge in popularity.  With players of all ages heading to courts to participate in matches and competitive tournaments. The sport’s appeal lies in its simplicity and accessibility, making it easy for beginners to pick up while offering enough depth and strategy to keep experienced athletes engaged.

One factor contributing to pickleball’s rise to fame is its adaptability. With courts available in a variety of settings, from outdoor parks to gymnasiums. Players can enjoy pickleball year-round, regardless of the weather. Additionally, the sport’s rules are relatively straightforward, making it easy for newcomers to learn and play. To support this idea, I spoke with Coach Thomas Roarty, a physical education teacher at Colonia High School who stated. “Pickleball is an activity that was added as an activity in gym class about two years ago.  Coach Roarty said, “I think it would make a good club before it becomes an official sport.” 

Guidelines

Pickleball is played on a badminton-sized court with a net, using paddles and a plastic ball with holes. The game is to be played as singles or doubles. Each player takes turns. The first side to reach 11 points, with a margin of two points, wins the game. 

Future of pickleball

After also speaking with Mrs. Clarke, the Vice Principal at Kumpf Middle School.  She stated, “That a few years ago pickleball was added to the activities offered at the Clark Recreational Center.” After looking into the Clark Rec Center pickleball program, I found that our own Woodbridge Recreation Center offers pickleball courts as part of their membership. 

Pickleball’s rich history and accessibility led it to its rise of fame. It also might become an Olympic sport in 2028.   Whether you’re an athlete or a newcomer to the world of racquet sports, pickleball offers a unique and enjoyable experience for players of all ages and skill levels. So grab a paddle, head to the nearest court, and join in on the pickleball craze sweeping the nation.