March 29, 1973- Dave Cowens wins NBA MVP

Photo Credit: PICRYL

Dave Cowens, although relatively unknown in the world of basketball, led the Celtics to a league-best 68-14 season in 1973. In his 10 season career, he won 2 NBA championships and had eight all-star appearances, winning the All-Star game MVP in the same 1973 season. He was All-NBA 3 times and All-Defense 3 times and in 1971, he shared the Rookie of the Year award with Geoff Petrie. He was selected to the NBA Hall of Fame in 1991. Cowens would go on to become the first player to lead his team in points, rebounds, assists, blocks, and steals. This feat has sine been achieved by the likes of Scottie Pippen, Kevin Garnett, LeBron James and Giannis Antetokounmpo. In game 7 of the 1974 NBA Finals, Cowens managed to outplay the greta Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, scoring 28 points and grabbing 14 rebounds to lead the Celtics to their first Finals win since Bill Russell’s retirement. 2 years later, in the 1976 Finals, Cowens played 55 of the game’s 63 minutes and finished with an impressive stat line of 26 points and 19 rebounds to lead them to a 128-126 victory. In spite of his impressive performance in both finals, his teammate John Havlicek got the honors in 1974 and Jo Jo White took home the trophy in 1976. The Celtics of the 70s are often overshadowed by the tremendous success the Celtics had in the Bill Russell era in the 60s and the Larry Bird era of the 80s, however, they put together a respectable decade of basketball as well.