April 11, 1975- Hank Aaron returns to County Stadium after trade from the Braves

Photo Credit: Lauren Gerson

After being traded to the Milwaukee Brewers from the Atlanta Braves(formerly known as the Milwaukee Braves), Hank Aaron made a highly anticipated return to Milwaukee, this time as a Brewer. Aaron had an incredible career with the Braves, leading them to a World Series in 1957. The Braves had 13 consecutive winning seasons from 1953-65 before relocating to Atlanta. Baseball returned to Milwaukee when a team named the Seattle Pilots(eventually re-branded as the Milwaukee Brewers) were founded. Prior to trading for Hank Aaron, the Brewers had dragged through 5 straight losing seasons. Following the 1974 season, Aaron’s future with the Braves was unlikely. In spite of breaking Babe Ruth’s historic home run record, Aaron dealt with knee issues and had played a career low in games with 112 and hit 20 home runs, his lowest total since his rookie season. County stadium was packed for Aaron’s return with 48,160 fans in attendance, a Brewers record and the second biggest crowd in County Stadium’s history. Batting third, Aaron walked in  his first at-bat back at the stadium. He entered the game 0-6 with more walks than strikeouts on the season. In his second at-bat, he hit a sharp grounder, forcing a throw to first base, but drove in his first run as a Brewer as the crowd erupted in excitement. In his prime, Aaron was a major threat when on-base, becoming the third player to have a 30 home run-30 stolen base season in 1963, but had only 3 stolen bases in the last 2 seasons. In an attempt to steal second, he was easily thrown out but made up for it in his third at-bat of the game, hitting a single for his first hit as a Brewer. He later scored his first run of the season to extend the Brewers lead to 3-1. The Brewers eventually won the game 6-2 in Aaron’s return