• May 31Yearbook party is June 6th during blocks 1 and 2 (have to have purchased a yearbook)
  • May 30June 7- BSU's Juneteenth cookout - $2 per block
  • May 30SAT on June 1
  • May 30Prom is 5/31 - Have fun and stay safe

Local Nearby Grubs Worth Your Money

When+ordering+at+La+Chula+Tex-Mex+%26+House+157%2C+you+will+be+able+to+experience+Carribean%2C+Mexican%2C+Nigerian%2C+and+more.+The+chicken+tacos+comes+with+a+colorful+array+vegetables+%26+guacamole.++
Photo Credit: Faith Ruth
When ordering at La Chula Tex-Mex & House 157, you will be able to experience Carribean, Mexican, Nigerian, and more. The chicken tacos comes with a colorful array vegetables & guacamole.

La Chula Tex-Mex Rahway NJ

Want to visit a Local Grub nearby? La Chula Tex-Mex promises a vibrant and flavorful dining experience, but its offerings proved to be a mixed bag. While the birria tacos were a highlight, other dishes fell short of expectations.

The star of the meal was undoubtedly the birria tacos. These tacos were juicy and seasoned to perfection, with tender, flavorful meat that practically melted in my mouth. The consommé was rich and savory, offering an added depth of flavor when dipped into it.

However, one notable downside was the portion size—only four tacos came with the order, leaving me wishing for more of this delicious dish. The price I paid for the tacos alone was $20.

Unfortunately, the other food items we tried did not live up to the standard set by the birria tacos. The street corn was a disappointment, as the cheese had an unpleasant, almost spoiled taste that overshadowed the sweetness of the corn.

For my first time trying street corn, this unfortunately set the bar low. It failed to capture flavors typically associated with Mexican street corn. 

The Mexican wings were decent but underwhelming. The taste gave the average taste of wings having a crispy exterior, which gave it a reminiscent of regular wings rather than something distinctively Mexican. The promised spices and seasonings did not come through strongly, resulting in a forgettable dish 

Compared to other Mexican wings I tried at a place called Cazadores Mexican Restaurant in Perth Amboy. There I was able to experience the spicy, seasoned, and crunchy taste of Mexican wings. It’s $6 cheaper than the Mexican wings at La Chula Tex-Mex. 

In conclusion, when in need of an affordable grub to eat at, La Chula Tex-Mex is a spot worth visiting for its birria tacos alone, which are truly exceptional. However, the other dishes hit the notes of delicious and flavorful. If you find yourself dining here, be sure to order an extra round of birria tacos, and perhaps skip the street corn and wings in favor of other menu options. 

House 157

Photo via; House 157, https://www.dehouse157.com/
House 157, 157 E Westfield Ave, Roselle. House 157 offers Caribbean food, Southern, Latin, and Asian. You can find entertainment of DJ every Thursday, and live music at brunch on Sundays. Was also awarded diner’s choice by Open Table.

When it comes to experiencing authentic Caribbean flavors, House 157 in Roselle is a place for it’s Grubtastics qualities, it stands out as a must-visit dining restaurant. From the moment I walked in, I felt a warm, inviting atmosphere with its beautiful scenery. 

First up was the jerk chicken it was traditional and well-seasoned. The crispy and charred edges of the chicken complemented the tender. Elevating the dish. 

The rice and peas were another highlight of the meal. The dish was incredibly flavorful, with the peas perfectly cooked and the rice infused with rich, savory spices. Not to mention the portion size was generous.

One unexpected star of the meal was the seasoned cabbage. It was my first time trying this dish, and it did not disappoint. The cabbage was well cooked, retaining just the right amount of crunch while absorbing the flavorful seasoning. It was a versatile dish that paired wonderfully with jerk chicken rice and peas.

Dominique Daniels says about her meal “ As a Caribbean myself, this food was amazing, I got the jerk chicken with rice and peas, salmon and baked mac & cheese, it hit all the key points in flavor and cook time. You can tell they put love into their food. 

Aaralyn Ranalds speaks about her salmon dish ” I just wish I got something else rather than the salmon, I feel there wasn’t much flavor I’m used to when eating salmon, kinda of disappointing for my birthday dinner meal being about a 5 out of 10.

While the wait for the food was a bit lengthy, every second was worth it for the quality of the meal. If you’re looking for a nice local date night spot, I wouldn’t recommend House 157 enough as the top grub place for high-end.  The staff at House 157 were attentive and friendly, making sure my dining experience was enjoyable from start to finish.