• May 31Yearbook party is June 6th during blocks 1 and 2 (have to have purchased a yearbook)
  • May 30June 7- BSU's Juneteenth cookout - $2 per block
  • May 30SAT on June 1
  • May 30Prom is 5/31 - Have fun and stay safe

Is etiquette a dying culture?

Photo Credit: Gabryelle Chouloute
    Because of the decline of proper etiquette, manners such as holding the door open for someone has become less common.

Manners are a person’s social behavior and the way they show respect for others. Such etiquette could include simple acts such as saying “please” and “thank you”, holding the door open for someone, or giving someone your full attention when they’re talking to you. However, in today’s society, it seems like the importance of manners and etiquette has diminished. In the age of rapid and changing technology advancements and evolving social norms, people cannot help but wonder: is etiquette a dying culture?

In today’s digital age, technology has transformed the way we communicate with each other. Face-to-face interactions are becoming less common and people are now relying on text messaging, emails, and social media. It’s easy to send a quick message without saying “please” or “thank you”. Although these tools are incredibly useful and dependable in everyday life, they seem to have provided people with a sense of detachment. The online world allows people to hide behind screens and disregard other people’s feelings. With less physical communication, people feel less inclined to be respectful toward one another. Jayla Seepersaud, a junior at Colonia High, adds, “People lack basic manners these days. Treat others with respect“.

Changing social norms has also contributed largely to the decline of etiquette. In the past, people were more formal with strict rules on how to dress and behave in public. For example, there used to be clear dress codes for different occasions. Going out to places such as formal events, work, school, and restaurants required people to dress up and look neat. Table manners have also seemed to change. Some table manners include: waiting until everyone is seated and served to begin eating, using proper utensils to eat, asking someone to pass an item on the table rather than reaching across their plate to get it, and chewing with your mouth closed.

However, it seems as a society, we’ve abandoned dining etiquette unless at a prestigious event. Now, it’s common to see people using their phones during dinner and talking with food in their mouths. Junior, Daniella Albuquerque comments, “Yeah, I totally agree. I grew up in a Portuguese household where being on your phone and eating before everyone is seated is frowned upon. When I ate with my grandparents, we always let them eat first and then served ourselves”.

Today as we reflect on our evolving society, it’s evident that the importance of etiquette is vital. We should continue to be mindful of our words and actions toward others. Even simply saying “please” and “thank you” can go a long way in our behavior. Practicing good manners is key in creating strong relationships and a united society.