What you should know before you take the SAT

Photo Credit: The Declaration Staff
Filling in bubbles, Students practice for the upcoming SAT.

When junior year comes around, many high school students face the pending question of trying to decide whether they should take the SAT. In order to make a clear decision, they must understand the purpose of the test and what is consists of.

The test is given to students to challenge their aptitude in basic areas of learning. The SAT focuses on reading, writing, and math.

The SAT alone costs $43 , but if one wishes to take it with the essay it’s $54.50. Also, there is a fee waiver given to those who applied with financial issues. College Board also gives an option for an additional charge of $18 if you wish to be given back your test questions, your responses, the correct responses, and an explanation of how to solve the problem. In total, the SAT is three hours, but if you decide to take the essay it’s three hours and 50 minutes.  Those interested in taking the essay portion of the test must be aware that the essay type is a rhetorical analysis. A rhetorical analysis is an essay that requires the reader to analyze a piece of literature and find rhetorical devices the speaker used to appeal to emotion, logic, and credibility. There is a deadline to sign up for the test. However, if you do miss it, there is still a period of time to sign up with a late fee of $28, excluding the registration fee.

Printing out a picture received from the College Board website on the day of the test is necessary. The day of the test you are required to bring the printed out picture you received from College Board. The ticket should have a clear and visual picture of you, your name, your address, the date of your test, where you’re taking your test, your student ID, and the test type. The recommended time to arrive at your testing areas is at 7:30 and the test begins are 8:00. After taking the test, students should receive their scores on College Board within three-six weeks. Students are allowed to send up to four free reports of their scores to colleges they wish to apply to.

Depending on the college you plan on attending, the SAT is no longer a requirement, but it is still highly recommended to take. More and more colleges are becoming lenient with scores on applications  but it’s still better to be safe than sorry. There are many loopholes when entering certain college classes that taking the SAT and passing with a great score can over. Sure the SAT doesn’t sound very glorious, but it is a tool that can be very helpful to many. Students are allowed to take it more than one time, so what’s the harm in taking it once?