Embracing the kiddie table

In every family gathering or event, there comes a time when children and teens alike are faced with the bittersweet reality of graduating from the kiddie table. Some people believe it is a rite of passage to finally be able to earn a spot at the adult table. They also believe that it is a sign of respect to the older members in attendance to allow the elders to sit at the head table. Many times, this means that the younger generations have to wait for older generations to die or not attend for an opportunity to move up to the big table. 

While it may seem like the kiddie table is ostracized or a forced change, there are many reasons why being at the kiddie table is totally okay. In many ways it can be an actual enjoyable.

1. A Safe Zone of Laughter:

While dining it’s not only about the food but also the company. While the adult table may boast serious conversations, laughter, goofy jokes, and the freedom to be silly happens at the kiddie table.

Mr. Abel Ramos, Vice Principal at CHS explained, “I’m down with the kiddie table.” He prefers sitting at the kiddie table because it’s fun and interesting.

1. Bonding Opportunities:

While it may be natural to feel like an outcast among younger relatives, the kiddie table provides a unique opportunity for one to connect with their own generation. While conversing about the latest video games or trends, you discover shared experiences, interests, and friendships. These bonds can extend beyond the holiday season, starting genuine friendships.

Mr. Daniel Hutchinson, head of the English department, enjoys his time at the kids table because he can be silly and be the cool aunt or uncle.

1. Freedom from adult expectations:

Escaping the stern gazes and probing questions of nosy adults is always a benefit. By sitting at the kiddie table you can find solace in the freedom of responsibility that comes with being part of the kiddie table. There is no pressure to impress, conform, or discuss serious matters. 

“I don’t want to explain how I’m doing for the tenth time,” noted Mr. Sal Cerchio, English teacher. He also felt that politics has no place at the table especially during the holidays.

Michelle Baricevic, writer for Food Network, explains in her article, “I’m 28-Year Old – Here’s Why I Still Sit at the Kids’ Table” that she happily chooses to sit with the younger crowd. When she tells her younger cousins that she takes the subway, they are impressed, whereas adults wouldn’t be impressed. She also says that by sitting with the kids you get to experience the holiday through their eyes which makes it all worth it.

4. Sometimes it is just easier:

For those parents with small children, it may be easier to assist a child with eating if you are at the kiddie table too. “I’ve been at the kiddie table for 43 years,” explained Mrs. Danielle Allen, English teacher and mother of twin toddlers, “but now it is convenient to be there because I have twin 3-year-olds. It would be more of a hassle to have to keep getting up every time they need something.”

So, for the many who find themselves feeling hapless or out of place at the kiddie table, rest assured that the kiddie table is not a symbol of exclusion but a delightful reminder of the innocence and happiness that still resides within us all.