“One of Us is Lying unravels secrets and lies

A review on the suspense filled mystery novel “One of Us is Lying” by Karen M McManus.
One of Us is Lying unravels secrets and lies

“One of Us is Lying,” written by Karen M. McManus, is a mystery novel that will keep readers on the edge of their seats all the way through. Set in a high school where stereotypes and secrets collide, McManus creates a  story of suspense, betrayal, and surprising connections.

The Novel

The novel revolves around five students who all find themselves in detention. However, what starts as an ordinary punishment quickly turns sinister when one of the students, Simon, suspiciously dies. Simon also happens to be the creator of an app exposing students’ secrets.  As secrets are unearthed and tensions rise, it becomes clear that Simon’s death was no accident, but rather a calculated murder.

Writing style

McManus does an excellent job of creating complex and multi-dimensional characters. McManus captures the essence of high school cliques and tensions, the tightly woven plot is layered with countless twists and turns. This ensures that the truth remains unknown until the very end. Her writing style is engaging, suspenseful , drama filled, and humorous.

Themes

McManus explores several themes. The book shows into the impact of social media on today’s youth, highlighting the destructive power of gossip and the toll it takes on individuals. Additionally, it addresses the pressure to conform to societal expectations, and how it can lead to internal struggles that ultimately shape one’s identity.

The Series

To go along with this thrilling book series, a television series recreating the story aired in 2021 until 2022 completing two seasons. The novel based series was produced by Brain Leslie Parker.

“I liked the characters and storyline because with the first book, I didn’t know who the killers was until the end. I didn’t expect that character to be the villain,” explained sophomore avid-reader Kellie Hastrup.

Conclusion

“One of Us is Lying” is a well-written and captivating novel that will appeal to young adult and adult audiences. McManus has crafted an amazing mystery filled with memorable characters and an intricate plot that will keep readers engaged until the final page.

This novel is a testament to the author’s ability to captivate audiences with an unpredictable plot, making it a must-read for fans of thrilling young adult fiction. In conclusion, “One of Us is Lying” is a must-read for fans of mysterious, suspenseful, and thrilling story lines.