Guide to dress shopping this prom season

Photo Credit: Declaration Staff
Walking into prom, one can see the various colors, styles, shapes, and cuts to the dresses. Some dresses can be simple, whereas others can be over-the-top.

With prom and Cotillion season only 3 months away it’s officially time to start considering your prom dress and coordination. Teenage girls might make reservations for dress shopping to secure their style and size or shop online for a wide variety of dress styles.

Local dress stores like Ultimate Fashion at Woodbridge Mall provide a great selection of dresses, and Sivory also in Woodbridge is known for its amazing prom and formal dresses. With 3 months away it’s advised to start shopping now so you can secure a dress you like. 

What to Consider When Dress Shopping 

When shopping for your ideal prom dress it’s important to start early. Prom season is a known bum-rush for dress shopping, considering many try and buy their dress last minute. This means the closer to your prom date, the fewer styles and sizes available for you. 

For those who online shop and are considering doing a custom dress made-to-order online, it’s crucial to order ahead. If the dress doesn’t fit you or is not exactly as you imagined it on the website, you can potentially refund and find a backup dress.

Knowing your size and style plays a huge role in finding your ideal dress as well. Whether if you are online shopping or in person, you must get measurements so your dress can fit your body correctly. Some dress types may require a specific height for the dress, and that’s when customer service is great. Always ask questions, you want your dress to be a perfect fit and complement your body.

Types of prom dresses & color theory

So much variety when it comes to dress shopping because of the plethora of dress types and styles. You have co-ord sets of dresses, which show off the overall figure of your body. Ruffles dresses are a fan favorite because of the volume they add to the dress. Strapless dresses are made to accentuate your figure and draw attention to your arms, neck, and shoulders. 

Junior Lily Borek gives her opinions on dress styles that are hot and styles that are not as appealing. She states “Mermaid dresses are cute and summer-spring dresses do not belong at prom “. She also added some colors that look beautiful on prom like red and black. 

The color of your dress speaks for itself with the personality that went into picking out the dress. You can go with warm, cool, or neutral colors when picking your prom dress colors. 

Choosing colors that complement your skin and undertones can also help you choose the color for your dress. There are charts online that talk about the different colors and the meaning behind them. Check out the prom color guide on Goldenssprom.com

For more

Pricing

Now pricing. The average prom dress can range from $150-2,000. Depending on where you get your dress, if it was custom made, on sale, or expensive pieces added to the dress. It all factors into the price of the dress. Is it ideal for ladies to spend $900-$1000 for their big night? 

Junior Izzy Gidado stated, “ It’s not crazy to spend $1000 on a dress if you can afford it, whether it’s one night or not.” The range she would spend on a prom dress is $200-400. 

Planning is ideal so you can be able to budget and afford your prom dress and other expenses that go into prom as well, like hair, nails, and makeup. To learn more about budgeting for prom visit Promgirl.com for help on budgeting for prom and other resources to help you archive an affordable & beautiful dress.