• May 31Yearbook party is June 6th during blocks 1 and 2 (have to have purchased a yearbook)
  • May 30June 7- BSU's Juneteenth cookout - $2 per block
  • May 30SAT on June 1
  • May 30Prom is 5/31 - Have fun and stay safe

Are promposals necessary?

According to the dictionary, a promposal is an elaborately staged request to be someones date to a prom. Are they required though?
Photo Credit: The Declaration staff
According to the dictionary, a promposal is “an elaborately staged request to be someone’s date to a prom.” Are they required though?
Jada Powell

Of Course It Is!

For many, being asked to prom holds special significance. It can be seen as a gesture of affection and admiration. Even more, a way for someone to show that they want to spend a memorable evening with you. Being asked to prom can also boost your confidence and make you feel appreciated and valued. Being asked can bring feeling of joy and excitement. It can also and a hint of anticipation for the night an event itself.

Students at Colonia High School also think it is important to have a date and give someone a promposal. Student Austin Marques says, “It’s a formality and a sweet gesture, like giving a girl a corsage.”

According to Seventeen Magazine and a study done by Visa, teens spend an average of $324 on promposals. If you live in the Northeastern United States, this amount could be even higher.

If you are looking for ideas for promposals check out Seventeen Magazine’s recommendations and Teen Vogue’s suggestions.

Just Have Fun!

On the other hand, some may argue that being asked to prom is not as important as it may seem. In today’s world, where individuality and independence are valued.

Some students may prefer to go to prom with a group of friends or even by themselves. Prom is ultimately about having a good time and celebrating the end of the school year. Who better to do that with then the people who you went through the years with. You can all match or do your own thing. All in all you will make memories that last a lifetime with your closest friends. 

It’s important to remember that prom is just one night out of many in your high school experience. While being asked to prom can be a fun and meaningful experience, it doesn’t define your worth or your popularity. What’s truly important is enjoying the night, creating memories, and cherishing the time you spend with friends, whether you’re asked to prom or not.

The importance of getting asked to prom is subjective and varies from person to person. While it can add an extra layer of excitement and romance to the event, it should not overshadow the true purpose of prom: to have a fantastic time with your peers and create lasting memories. Whether you are asked to prom in a grand romantic gesture or choose to go with friends or on your own, what truly matters is the fun, laughter, and camaraderie you experience on this special night.

Enjoy the Night

Prom is ultimately about having fun , dressing up, and celebrating the end of the school year. Your enjoyment of the night should not be contingent upon receiving a promposal, as the true essence of prom lies in the connections you make, the memories you create, and the experiences you share with those around you.

In conclusion, getting asked to prom can be important for some, but it shouldn’t overshadow the true purpose of the event, which is to celebrate the end of the school year and create lasting memories with friends. Whether you’re asked to prom or not, remember to have fun, be yourself, and cherish the moments that make high school a special time in your life.