• May 31Yearbook party is June 6th during blocks 1 and 2 (have to have purchased a yearbook)
  • May 30June 7- BSU's Juneteenth cookout - $2 per block
  • May 30SAT on June 1
  • May 30Prom is 5/31 - Have fun and stay safe

Is having a prom date necessary?

Going+to+prom+with+friends+or+your+significant+other+is+a+big+milestone+for+your+relationship.+
Photo Credit: Danielle Allen
Going to prom with friends or your significant other is a big milestone for your relationship.

Teenagers who go to prom feel the need to have a date. If you don’t have a date, it is seen as a way of “nobody likes you.” This is not necessarily the case.

It is a very stressful time for teens and they want to make the best out of it. Relationship problems can also get in the way and add on to the previous stress. Finding dresses and tuxedos is a whole other problem, but bringing the right date is important as well.

Prom With Your Significant Other

Going with your significant other to prom is considered a milestone in your relationship. It can be seen as a way to go out with each other publicly and make your feelings known to each other publicly as well. The pros of going with your significant other vary and mainly come down to the same point. You’re going with someone who you love and know very well.

Senior Kady Stava says, “Going to prom with a significant other would be a good thing because of the memories that are being made that will stick with you in the long run. When you look back at prom, you remember the time you spent with the people that you surrounded yourself with that night and how you had the time of your life.”

Prom is a night to remember for high school students, and the memories carry on until you’re an adult. Making the most memories as possible is the most important thing to do on the significant night.

Breakups during Prom Season

There may be other scenarios where couples break up before prom. This is actually pretty common which results in people going with friends after spending so much money.

Junior Sofia Sokolow says, “Going through a breakup before prom is a little depressing, but if you know it’s what you want and what’s best then all it is is about reassuring yourself that it’s okay.”

Just because couples break up before, doesn’t mean they still can’t go together. It may be awkward at first, but everyone is dancing and having a great time, so making the best out of the situation is the best solution.

Going Solo

Going Solo is also a common option. Not everyone gets asked to prom and that is perfectly fine. Going by yourself can be fun as well as going with friends.

Stava also says, “Going to prom with a significant other can also be bad in a way because you might spent your whole time with your partner and forget to make the memories with your friends and the other people that might want to spend time with you as well.”

It is still important to reach this milestone that is prom. Even if you go alone, it is okay to just enjoy it and take it all in. This is the last dance you’ll ever have in school, enjoy it.