How to plan a Friendsgiving

Photo Credit: Flickr by Eric_Pancer
Thanksgiving table with stuffing and turkey. Setting the mood with candles and acorns.

During the month of November people find ways to be thankful or share joy. We all know about the traditional thanksgiving, but there has been a twist made. The unofficial holiday of Friendsgiving.

What is Friendsgiving?

Friendsgiving is a mix word of friends and Thanksgiving. The event is just like a normal Thanksgiving dinner blended with friends and  family could join. Some people may know it as the second Thanksgiving.

When is Friendsgiving taken place?

Since there is no official date of Friendsgiving. It usually takes place on or near Thanksgiving. It can also be held on any day during the month of November. It is normally held or hosted by any person in the friend group.

Where did it come from?

There is no official story of the first Friendsgiving or how it became. According to an article they state that the hit TV show Friends could be what brought it to life. Another theory is in 2011 when Baileys Irish Cream used the word in an ad campaign and it became the hit of The Real Housewives of New Jersey.

What is on the menu?

Depending on who is hosting the event they can take up on the menu on their own. On the other hand, Friendsgiving can be held with a theme. Based on the theme it determines what you are able to bring. A theme that has been trending this year is “bring food that starts with the first letter of your name”. For instance T turkey, S scalloped potatoes, and M mac and cheese. A common theme seen a lot is a regular potluck. With potlucks people usually have first come first pick so there are no doubles, depending on the group size. The foods that are normally brought to Friendsgiving are turkey, mashed potatoes, and apple pie.

Junior Jared Patela said, “Having the theme of bringing food that starts with the first letter of your name was fun and challenging and I brought Jalapeño Poppers.”

What happens during Friendsgiving?

The events taking place that day are normally up to the host. Commonly the event starts with dinner with lots of food. While eating the food everyone is usually in conversation and laughing. Then if people still have room in their stomach there would be dessert such as pumpkin pie, apple pie, and pecan pie. If there is still time or they have already planned activities, they can play games. Games that are trending at the moment for friends is the human version of Hungry Hungry Hippos and blowing the candles down the table game.

Why is it important?

If you are coming from a family where gathering on Thanksgiving isn’t the greatest event, Friendsgiving can be that getaway. Family can be a lot during the holidays and it can get people worked up.

Senior Vania Surentu said that “Friendsgiving was a great refresher, and made memories that will last a lifetime.”

Friendsgiving can help the stress and being surrounded by the love and joy of friends can bring up the mood for people.