• May 31Yearbook party is June 6th during blocks 1 and 2 (have to have purchased a yearbook)
  • May 30June 7- BSU's Juneteenth cookout - $2 per block
  • May 30SAT on June 1
  • May 30Prom is 5/31 - Have fun and stay safe

Will the Idea of You be a flop, or is it the perfect romcom?

Photo Credit: Official movie poster via Welle Entertainment
Anne Hathaway (on the left) was reportedly paid $7 million. While Nicholas Galtizine (on the right) was paid $400,000.

The Idea of You” is an adaptation of Robinne Lee’s book which was inspired by the notorious boy band, One Direction. Lee published the book on June 13, 2017 and brought her novel to Amazon.

Background Information.

In late 2018, the producers Cathy Schulman and Gabrielle Union, announced they were going to produce the film. But no steps were further taken until Anne Hathaway, Nicholas Galitzine, and Michael Showalter were on board with the production, in mid-2021.

The production was made by  Schulman, Union, Hathaway, Lee, Eric Hayes, Jordana Mollick, and Showalter.  Welle Entertainment, Amazon Studios, Somewhere Pictures, I”ll Have Another released the film on May 2, 2024.  Hathaway (Solene) and Galitzine (Hayes Campbell) were the lead actors of the romance, comedy, and drama film.

Ratings and Where to Watch:

Rating: R (Sexual Content | Some Language)

Streaming: Amazon Prime Video

How Long and Age Group:

Runs for: 1h 55m

Age: 16+

Overview:

Solene is a 40 year old, single mother who owns her own art gallery in L.A. When the time comes for her to nourish in her alone time, Daniel (Reid Scott)–her ex-husband–calls her for an emergency. He tells her he can not take their daughter and her friends to Coachella, since he has a business meeting. So, being the amazing mother she is, Solene takes it on herself to bring the teenagers to the famous music festival. But, Solene did not expect to meet Hayes Campbell–the lead singer of the boy band Austin Moon. With just the clash of their eyes, tension sparks between the two, and they cannot keep their eyes off one another. As days begin to blur, Solene realizes that she cannot be in the shadows of Haye’s spotlight, that soon she will make headlines. Can the two overcome all the obstacles thrown at them? Or will their love die down into the shadows?

Opinion:

I honestly loved the film! When I heard  it was loosely based on One Direction, the inner child in me screamed. The way that Hayes portrayed Harry Styles was amazing. I totally got the reference–the tattoos, black tank top, wearing more “girly” outfits, and how he is attracted to older women. And Hathaway being onboard with the project?! I was truly amazed. Everyone knows how good of an actress Hathaway truly is, especially with her “Princess Diaries” franchise. Gabryelle Chouloute, a junior at Colonia High school commented, “I went into this movie with low expectations, but ended up really enjoying “The Idea of You.” It was a very entertaining romcom and I adored the characters. I always enjoy watching Anne Hathaway and her performance in this movie was captivating. I would recommend this movie to anyone looking for a lighthearted romance.”

Not gonna lie, I was nervous about the chemistry. Would the audience be able to feel the unedifying want and love between them? Or will this whole movie be a flop because of the lack of attraction? Let me just say this: thank God I was wrong–it was incredible! I mean the way Hayes’ eyes filled with desire whenever she was near or when he bought her whole gallery to show that he was interested in her.

Anjali Kachwalla, a junior added, “The chemistry between the two main characters was beautiful. They gave the exact amount of love and tension that every romcom needs to be perfect. Additionally, the roller coaster that their relationship went through made the finale scene have a heartwarming closing.” This is a 2000s’ type of romcom, one everyone has been yearning for since they stopped making them.