White Fang: a living classic still captivates readers

A quick review of the novel White Fang.
White Fang book cover.
Photo Credit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Fang#mediaviewer/File:JackLondonwhitefang1.jpg under the creative commons license
White Fang book cover.

White Fang by Jack London is a great novel, that explains the journey of an Arctic wolf dog, who makes his way from the Arctic Circle, through the Yukon and down to California. White Fang was not born with this name, he was given it a few months after he was born. The story explains things in a certain way that gives you a better insight on this animal and how he views things. The story starts out with the story of two men transporting cargo across a frozen forest, then slowly deludes into the story of White Fang. From his birth onward, the author keeps you keenly focused on his life: explaining life, and experiences through his eyes.

Personally, I love this novel due to the great amount of detail, and the way the author makes you side with the main character all throughout the novel, despite them never speaking a word.  I would definitely propose this novel to anyone who is looking for a good, medium length novel to get interested in. Admittedly, there are a few rather violent scenes, but it does not take away from the story, and it is not overly violent, like some authors, and creators might try to do.

Even though this novel is kind of an old novel (Around one hundred and eight years old) it still can deliver a viable story, and plot in which you can get involved in. I personally rate this novel at an 8.5. I personally appreciate how realistic the author made this novel, giving the main characters perspective and thoughts, and the way the author described objects and events the main character did not understand. Those are only some of the aspects of this novel that gives it a sense of realism to it.

The only downsides to the novel, in my mind, are that it has a long beginning which is not exactly connected to White Fang. Also, another issue I have with this novel is it ends semi abruptly, which left me wishing for a sequel to the novel.

This novel is a great story, and brings out emotions in the reader, overall a great, powerful story.