Tips to Stop Procrastin… Uh I’ll Finish this Title Later

Isn’t life so relaxing and peaceful when you’re just laying in your soft pj’s and binge-watching Netflix? But then hours later, you realize you have barely any time to finish the work you’ve been pushing off without losing precious hours of sleep.

That is the work of procrastination, but the thing is, we all do it. With modern technology working its magic by distracting us from our responsibilities, finding the incentive to actually dedicate your time to it can be hard.

Here are some tips to start getting important stuff done and putting your best effort into what you do (instead of working on your research paper till 1:30 AM the day before it’s due).

1. Eliminate the Distractions

Using your phone to watch Vines or saying “I’ll only watch one more episode” to The Office on Netflix are obviously distractions. First thing to do is put your phone on silent, or turn it off if it’s that much of a distraction to you. Next, shut your TV or exit out of the web page on your laptop you were using to watch Dance Moms off and grab your tools to start working.

Even though this is a small step it’s important to do because in front of you should be your priorities and the distractions need to be saved for non-guilt enjoyment.

2. Don’t stay in your room to do your homework

Where do you go to sleep? Your room. Where is your comfy, nap tempting bad? Your room. Getting out of the setting where you sleep can make it easier to focus because being in your room makes you tired and work less proficiently since your body is used to sleeping in that area.

After step one transfer all the books and materials you’ll be using onto your dining room table, kitchen table, or anywhere that your body wouldn’t be so tempted to take a nap.

3. Divide your work into sections

One reason we procrastinate is because thinking about focusing on a task and efficiently doing the work can be exhausting. But what you should do is break your work up into phases, then take a break in between. Limit the breaks to five minutes or so because high chances are that you’ll start to procrastinate again.

Don’t stress about how much work you have, once you divide it, it’ll seem much simpler and easier than looking at is as a whole.

4. Background noise

If you’re not fortunate enough to have a noise free surrounding then get your headphones. Sorry but we’re not going to be playing neither Taylor Swift nor The Front Bottoms. When you really want to focus the best thing you can do if play classical music. Classical music is proven to help your brain focus and concentrate. Composers with relaxing pieces to help concentrate are Brian Crain, Mozart, and Hans Zimmer.

A great app that you can download on your phone/ laptop/ tablet is Spotify. Spotify is like iTunes, Pandora, and 8tracks all in one. You can find artists and listen to solely their pieces, find someone’s playlist for classical concentration music, or even play the radio for composers.