Vegetarian Thanksgiving could be a heathier alternative

Thanksgiving is a special time for families to gather and celebrate with grand feasts. Millions of people enjoy going shopping to buy turkey, pumpkin pie, sweet potatoes, cranberries, and other foods. Thanksgiving is a holiday that evokes football and family reunions.  Thanksgiving has long been celebrated as a holiday where people eat meat and copious amounts of side dishes. Over the past several years, the celebration and meaning of Thanksgiving has evolved. There are people who believe in making vegetarian food (including me) instead of making turkey because it is their own way of expressing their appreciation towards the national holiday, religion, beliefs, and values.

I think having a Vegetarian Thanksgiving would be beneficial and awesome for families. People are always heading out to stores to buy as much turkey and food so they can make their feast memorable. However, creating vegetarian dishes is a wiser decision because families can save money. Moreover, people can make a wide variety of dishes and foods that would be more appealing and worth eating. In addition, families would not gain weight from eating stuffed turkey and sweet potatoes.  According to EatTurkey.com, 88 percent of American households eat turkey on Thanksgiving. Vegetarian Thanksgiving would be ideal because people who have a vegetarian lifestyle will feel content, connected, and included in this holiday.

The idea of families having a Vegetarian Thanksgiving is helpful and excellent in several ways. First, families could buy snacks, healthy drinks, and necessary food items to cook at home.  Family members could prepare and cook their own special dishes or appetizers for the traditional Thanksgiving dinner.  People can make salads, lasagna, soups, walnut-apple stuffing, cheesecakes, and so much more. Having a Vegetarian Thanksgiving would be a new experience for people who want to celebrate Thanksgiving in their own style.

It would save a lot of time and not restrict anyone from eating something they like. Having a Vegetarian Thanksgiving would save room in the refrigerator and be more orderly. Furthermore, this alternative would allow people who are against the killing of animals for meat to feel pure and relaxed. If a person often eats a lot of turkey and other food all at one time, they are prone to having an upset stomach immediately and getting sick so it is better to eat Vegetarian dishes and appetizers for the sake of good health.

Although Vegetarian Thanksgiving is a great idea moving forward, Thanksgiving has long been celebrated by Americans and they are accustomed to eating turkey and other delicious meat foods on this day. People enjoy eating as much as they can on Thanksgiving because the culture and tradition has remained intact. Families eagerly wait for this holiday and prepare for it every year the same way because they honor and respect Thanksgiving as a holiday.

I think Vegetarian Thanksgiving should be a consideration in the future because no family should be excluded from celebrating the tradition of Thanksgiving.  Vegetarian Thanksgiving is a unique and special way for everyone to show their traditions and beliefs extensively on this day.  Even if there are families who can’t eat turkey and meat, they still have the right to cook their own traditional feast. Thanksgiving emphasizes family reunions and I think having a Vegetarian Thanksgiving will only exhibit and add to the joy. I think having a Vegetarian Thanksgiving is a marvelous idea and we should definitely have it in the future