Colonia Girls’ Varsity Soccer with the GMC win

Colonia+girls+soccer+game+against+South+Plainfield.+
Photo Credit: Matthew Quille
Colonia girls soccer game against South Plainfield.

On Wednesday October 21, at Colonia High, the CHS Girls’ Varsity Soccer Team came through with a win against South Plainfield 2-1.

With the better chance of winning against South Plainfield, Colonia has the not only a better record than south Plainfield with a record of 5-7-2 but also in their GMC White Division, have a better standing then them coming in 6 out of 8. This is why it’s no shock they won.

Colonia has two lead scorers on their team, senior Jasmine Mincer and senior Amanda Poulakowski. Poulakowski, with 8 goals and Mincer having scored 7 goals in the 2015 year so far are surely leading the girls to victory.

This six o’clock game brought great news for the Colonia girls bringing them the win and their chance to move on in the single elimination games for GMC’S. Colonia starting with the ball went right on the attack through the start of the first; Colonia had the ball on their side and had more breakaway opportunities and scoring chances. But South Plainfield’s defenses was very strong at stopping passes and blocking shots before they got within 15 yards of the goal.

South Plainfield bringing the ball down to Colonia’ s side with great passing around Colonia’s defense had a shot on goal but hit the top crossbar and then bounced out for Colonia’s Stephanie Piccininni as she kicked the ball out before Plainfield had a chance for another shot on goal. As Plainfield set up for the corner kick that turned out unsuccessful as Colonia tried getting the ball up field, Colonia’s Gianna Sortizza accidentally kicked the ball directly into one of south Plainfield’s players bringing her directly to the ground causing an injury timeout.

As the game resumes and with Colonia very determined to score, Piccininni rushed down field with the ball. Having two defenders on her, she crossed the ball right over to leading scorer, Poulakowski where she took the shot and scored making the score 1-0 at 29 minutes left in the first half. Colonia with their precise passes made Plainfield’s defense really work. With a shot on goal putting Colonia in an opportunity for a corner kick, their set up kick goes off and an attempt for a header is missed just shy of the goal.

Plainfield shinning more in the end of the second half came and really took control of the game for quite some bit of time, even resulting in a shot and goal from Plainfield’s Claire Nagel, with 21 minutes and 16 seconds left in the game. That had tied the game up 1-1, making it anyone’s game. Going back and forth now, both teams pushed to score. Colonia’s Poulakowski came with a truly amazing shot on goal from the side of the net curving it not only into the goal but around two defenders that were on her. Poulakowski, had made the game 2-1 with 6 minutes and 5 seconds left in the final half. As the 6 minutes go by with no score from either team, Colonia came out with the win over Plainfield advancing them in their GMC division finals.