Colonia High School 2023 varsity football season recap

Photo Credit: Gabriella Damico
Colonia’s final game at Roxbury

The football boys this year came out with a record of 5-5 scoreboard. Colonia made it to the first round of playoffs and walked away with a score of 21-14.

Although the team suffered losses, the Patriots could not walk away feeling defeated. They worked to their hardest ability and always put their best foot forward. The team is not demented, but now knows what can be worked on in the future. The boys used their determination to push the opposition and make their way to the beginning of the playoffs.

Colonia’s Coach

Coach Thomas Roarty has been coaching football overall for a total of 35 years. Roarty has coached football at Colonia High School for an on going 14 years. He states the team has had their struggles this season with ups and downs, but came back with adversity each week and would do their best. The boys came out with a 500 record this season. At CHS high goals are set for the teams to go far and play their best. The boys played together hard as a team and showed their dedication on the field.

The goal each season is to get the best from each player. Week to week the seniors on the team work hard to lead the team and bring everyone together. Roarty continues to work on Colonia High’s goal to get the Township trophy and win the state championships which never occurred at Colonia High School.

Notable player’s contributions

Brian Freitas, senior football player, completed three sacks and 50 tackles this season. He agrees that the team has had ups and downs but they all walked away with their heads held high. The team overcame a lot of obstacles that they had and made it to the playoffs even though they were down in the dumps, they persevered and worked hard as a team. Freitas had a goal for 100 tackles but had his position switched and was no longer a linebacker. This however helped him to excel in his new role on the team and helped him push himself to become a better player all around.

Tobi Popoola is also a senior on the varsity football team. Popoola has completed 4 pass breakups, 1 interception and a total of 30 tackles this season. He does plan on continuing his football career throughout college and is proud of the work he put in this year. Popoola agrees that the team went through hardships this year but pushed through and made their way into the playoffs. His most memorable moment was beating Rahway and making their way to the playoffs.

Nygel Hill is a junior on Colonia’s varsity football team. Hill thinks the season went well although they had their losses. This is his first year starting on varsity and broke records for receiving touchdowns and Hill is 591 for receiving yards. Hill hopes to keep pushing himself to become a better athlete and hope to win it all next year and get a ring.