Colonia football gets a big win on senior night

Photo Credit: Frankie Brock
Celebrating after the game, the cheerleaders and football players pose for a senior photo.

The Colonia High School football team took time to honor the senior players, cheerleaders, and band before the last home game of the regular season on Friday, Oct. 20th against JP Stevens. This win for the Patriots bring their record to 5-2.

Senior night is an event special to players, coaches, and parents. Senior kicker Gianfranco Tiseo described it as, “So special because it only happens once. For four years, us seniors have been waiting for this moment of appreciation and only experience this day one time. A night like this is one that no one will forget.”

Although labeled Senior Night, everyone on the team feels the impact. Junior lineman Jason Reyes remembers his brother’s senior night, and what he has seen over the years. “It’s the last night you will ever be able to step on your home field and play in front of your fans. This is a memory you will never forget. “

In addition, Reyes went on to say, “This year we had 20+ seniors walking out with family and loved ones.” Along with players, there were at least 20 more to walkout from the cheerleaders and band combined.

The night did not stop their as Colonia faced off against the 1-5 JP Stevens Hawks. The Patriots were confident going into the game. As expressed by Tiseo, “Our team was not only confident because of the opposing team’s record, but because of the progress we have made throughout the season. We are capable of great things and are truly a force to be reckoned with.”

Colonia ended up beating the Hawks by a final score of 31-3. After a slow start to the game, Colonia took off in the second half and ended up scoring 21 unanswered points. Running back and senior captain Luke Pero had 150 rushing yards and a touchdown. Safety Mateo Campbell sealed the game with a 66 yard interception return for a touchdown in the fourth.

The attitude of a team is vital in football. Without a positive perspective, the chemistry of the team could fall apart. The school spirit depends on how the team plays, and how the season progresses. Tiseo said, “After a huge win, the attitude in and out of school is much better during that week. The students and players are more lively and look forward to the next game. It is quite an obvious difference after a win or a loss.”

This win essentially clinched a playoff spot for Colonia. With the last two games of the season competing against opponents with poor records, the season looks as if it will come to a successful conclusion. Reyes spoke on the issue by saying, “ Our team is not focused on the playoffs just yet, while the next two games aren’t against great teams we can’t write them off. Desperate teams become dangerous teams, we know we will get our opponents best every game. We want another home game and the only way to solidify that is to win the next two, and get one in the playoffs.”

Colonia definitely looks to be focused on closing out this season by taking things one game at a time.