Divergent, a Must Have on your Reading List.

Veronica+Roths+Best+Selling+novel%3B+the+first+of+the+trilogy%2C+Divergent.+
Photo Credit: www.flickr.com
Veronica Roth’s Best Selling novel; the first of the trilogy, Divergent.

Divergent, the first book to the trilogy written by Veronica Roth was published April 25th, 2011 it eventually became a best selling novel only to soon adapt into a movie in 2014. Needless to say the book was a hit, but much resembles ‘The Hunger Games’ written by Suzanne Collin in 2008. The Hunger Games, is also a trilogy, both novels are centered around a postapocalyptic society in which the characters must battle for survival. Both books are told in the perspective of a teenager, who must overcome discouraging challenges and are forced to live in the worst conditions.

Divergent how ever does have it’s own individuality and Veronica Roth must be given credit for that. The science fiction novel revolves around a dystopian city in Chicago, the world has changed and life as we know it is over. In result repercussions have been taken to ensure the sanctuary of the remaining people of the world. In attempt to rebuild the world, society has been divided into five factions,much life the hunger games except there are districts. The factors are based on virtues: Abnegation (the selfless), Amity (the peaceful), Candor (the honest), Dauntless (the brave), and Erudite (the intelligent).

Every child is born into a faction and must remain a member of that fraction until the age of sixteen living according to that factions’ virtue, when they are of age they are administered an aptitude test. The aptitude test is supposed to help determine which faction best suits them. Once they get their results there is a ceremony where all fractions and it’s members gather and the new initiates choose their faction which they will remain a member of for the rest of their lives. If they should choose to leave their faction they must leave everything behind and start again.

The book jumps right in as we watch Beatrice Prior; prevailing Abnegation member, the protagonist as well as the narrator nervously about to take her aptitude test. Much to her surprise and to the readers as well her results are inclusive, what does this mean for the young hero, after a melt down for fear of becoming factionless she is told she is divergent. From beginning to end Divergent captures you, leaving you in constant suspense anticipating the discovery of what divergent means, I must say Veronica Roth’s cliffhangers are extremely magnetic. The book is definitely a fun read and paints a much more vivid picture than the movie adaptation providing more details as well as a better story line.

Divergent’s biggest difference from other titles however would probably have to do with the balance created between romance, friendship, and family. The authors ability to combine an intensifying romance, without overpowering the book, is refreshing. As well as building her friendships with other characters in such a way that it allows the reader to feel connected to them themselves. Lastly, seeing her express her love for her family even though one of her fractions most worshipped rules is faction before blood is heart warming.  Throughout it all Beatrice proves to be brave, determined, and rebellious and in this society order is everything, so she definitely makes the book all the more thrilling to read.