How many times do you hit the snooze button each day?

Female Athletes Deserve Rights

Strong+female+athletes+compete+in+their+selected+sports.+
Photo Credit: Genesis Torres
Strong female athletes compete in their selected sports.

If there’s one thing that we know for sure is that the future can hold greater things. Females are overlooked and set as a “pedestal” for weak in our species. For years women have overcome situations that at first were not seemed fit, and for years they have risen to prove that women can overpower man and that they have just as much capability to do as they pleased by the side of a male or against. Perpetually, women have fought for rights that should have been given to them since the beginning of time, but although there have been sacrifices it was a necessary fight that has shaped the next generation of females to help over conquer the male dominated fields. It was time for female athletes to gain the same respect and opportunities as males. This was never about females being better than males, and although some would beg to differ, this was about females being looked upon equally as males. In the sports era there is no doubt that through blood, sweat, and tears, all athletes have worked for their achievements, and although there are opportunities for most females, those opportunities are almost slim to none compared to males.

Info graphic shows stats and facts based on female athletes and their rights.
Photo Credit: Genesis Torres

“Every athlete is working as hard as they possibly can, talent and skill deserves more attention,” Ms. Gambetta, softball and tennis coach for Colonia High School, stated. Basic athletes rights especially in the professional level should be given through hard work, but there is only so much teams could do with so little money.

Of course as Mr. Wieczerzak or Wiz, football and softball coach, exclaimed,“It all comes down down to money and the sponsorship.”  Female athletes are frowned upon and it is almost impossible to gain the attention they deserve and have worked for especially knowing that they work just as hard as males have.

If you think it’s hard to make it into the professional sports level, try making it into the professional sports level as a female. In a perfect world there would be a professional sports league for both women and men for every single sport all across the world. But this is reality, and in reality we are faced with the cold hard truth that if a female played a college sport but there is no professional level after graduation, then well, better luck next time. It is a sad but true stated fact that half the female athletes in this world have quit their true passion because there is no secured future as a professional athlete, and although the professional level alone isn’t all that easy. Mr. Scialfo, baseball, girls’ volleyball and girls’ basketball coach for Colonia High School, stated that “As opposed to males, there a lot more outlets for them to make a career out of it.” Through this he explains that most males have thousands of “outlets” or options in order to make it professionally and unlike women they have several choices ahead of their lives that include their true passions.

In a survey based on female athletes conducted on social media in the month of April, 70 people were asked questions about female athletes and their rights. In this survey one of the questions were, “Do you think females should get more money invested in them?” 68.6% said “Yes! That shouldn’t even be a question.” 28.6% said, “It depends how well they are doing”, 1.4% said, “I don’t care,” and 1.4% said, “No. Men get the most attention, so men should get the most funds.”

In relation to this question outside of this survey Coach Gambetta stated that it should depend on the sport whether females get the same perks as males do at a High School professional level when asked if females deserve more attention.

Unlike Gambetta, Coach Carew, girls’ soccer coach for Colonia High School, said, “I think that anybody who is putting themselves out there, working hard and doing the right thing deserve more attention.”

Mr. Roarty, football coach for Colonia High School, also supported by the side of  Coach Carew by stating that “They deserve just as much attention just as the males. They are athletes just like the males are athletes so they should all be treated the same way.”

The shocking truth is that Gambetta being the female felt that it should depend on how well the teams are doing, but the male coaches thought that didn’t matter, if you are an athlete you deserve better. Point proven that not all women and men think the same and that these decisions of males just simply getting the best of everything could be made by anybody.

In the same survey, 70 people were asked, “Should women coach men’s sport teams?” 67.1% people said, “Yes, I think it is a great opportunity.” 21.4% responded with “I don’t really care. 8.6% said, “No, men feel too uncomfortable, and 2.9% people said, “No, most sports are male dominated anyway.”

The shocking truth of this survey is that eight females responded no to this question suggesting that most females don’t agree with females coaching males. In defense of females coaching males, Coach Wiz exclaimed that “in order to do something, you have to have done it before. I can’t teach you how to do something unless I’ve done it before and experienced what works and what doesn’t work.” Coach Wiz explained his emotional opinion that females have every right to coach males as long as they have played it and have had some kind of experience as a player themselves and through their experience these female coaches could transfer their motivation and ideas to their male players.

In the same survey based on female athletes, another question was given, “What do you think about women playing in male dominated sports that doesn’t have the female equivalent?” 81.4% of those surveyed said “It is a great a great opportunity/Anybody deserves to play.” 11.4% of the respondents to the survey said, “I couldn’t care less.” 4.3% said, “It would never work out/It doesn’t seem right”, and 2.9% said “They are too weak to play with the men, that is absurd!”

There is an obvious reason when it comes to females competing with or against males. It is not impossible, it is just difficult. Many coaches explained that it depends up to a certain age whether females can compete against males. “When you compare a ten year old girl and a ten year old boy, there isn’t much difference,” Coach Wiz stated, “but as you get older, females have to build themselves up more than males do in order to stay in competition.”

Many male coaches were asked “Is coaching females different than coaching males?” These coaches who have had experience in coaching females explained that it is indeed very different when it comes to coaching girls. For one, Coach Scialfo jokingly spoke out that “You have to be little bit more sensitive with the females. They tend to cry a little bit quicker.”

Coach Carew’s opinion was far more different as of why coaching females was different and he explained his opinion by stating, “Coaching women is different, different group, different personalities. Guys tend to be a little more competitive naturally. There’s that kind of struggle to motivate, at least for my experience at the high school level.”

Unlike the male coaches who coach females, Coach Gambetta  who also coaches females stated that there is no difference in coaching females or males. Unlike females, males believe that for some reason you have to be more sensitive and humble in order to get through women, but coach Gambetta said she treats everybody the same way, male or female, she expects everybody to give their 110 percent no matter what.

However, Coach Wiz explained this situation by saying,“When you’re teaching, you’re teaching. I want the same adrenaline the same tempo from the girl as I want from the guy. I’m gonna yell at the girl to push it hard just as much as I want the boy to push it hard.”

“Society has a biased image of woman as weak an incomparable to men. Therefore, ceasing progress of sports involved with woman to be acknowledged to society which is unfair”, an anonymous survey taker answered when asked about female athlete rights.  As females we are held to different standards. We are almost forgotten and set to the side because we are not given the chance to build each other up. For many there is no difference, coaching means coaching, playing means playing, and being an athlete means being an athlete. Nothing more, nothing less.