Hockey team advances to the state competition for the first time

Photo Credit: Photo by Lors Studio with persmission
Colonia Ice hockey team players taking breaks in between the plays.

The Colonia High School Ice Hockey team will be going to States for the first time. The game was on February 25th at the Bridgewater Sports Center at 5:45pm.

The ice hockey team finished their regular season with a record of eight wins, six losses, and two ties. This is also the first season Colonia was combined with JFK Memorial High School’s hockey team.  “It’s amazing combining the two teams and having so much success,” four-year season Captain Ryan Trudel said about the team. Through the years, this team increased in skill, winning more and more games and setting the bar higher with each year. “We only won a couple of games freshman year, now, we made it to States,” stated Trudel.

The team started out the season with new faces and new challenges. Coach Monticollo remarked, “It was great that we would have more players and talent to work with this season.”  Despite the new players, Colonia went on to win their first game against Central Regional, and even tie against South Brunswick the next day. Colonia had good victories, including beating Edison High School, Scotch Plains, Bayonne, Vernon, Johnson, Central Regional, and Monroe. Combining both teams made a success in their ending record, gaining them a spot for them in States, a first for both Colonia and JFK. “Combining the teams gave us a broader range of players and definitely helped the success for the team,” commented Trudel.

Making states involves a great deal of change in discipline. “We’re going to start out with the usual plays and make adjustments depending on how the game goes,” said Monticollo. This will be a challenging game for Colonia. Colonia is going for a professional look to show they are ready for this monumental game.  Monticollo also did some scouting on Ridge, saying “I never seen them play, but I know they are a very competitive team”.

Ridge finished their regular season with 13 wins, five losses, and six ties. Ridge has won against Brick memorial, Watchung Hills, Bridgewater-Raritan, Hunterdon Central, and Pingry and has won the Skyland Conference Cup this year, but has not won States in their hockey lifetime. Ridge is ranked 5th out of the 30 teams in the 2014 NJSIAA Public A Tournament. Ridge has also made states every year since the 2009 season, but has yet to win the tournament. Support the Colonia Ice Hockey Team by attending the game at Bridgewater Sports Center.

View Comments (1)