• Delayed Opening Dec. 17th-19th PARCC Testing

• Interact Club Movie Trip Dec. 20th

• NO School Winter Break Dec. 22nd - Jan. 1st

• Early Dismissal Winter Break Dec. 21st

• Early Dismissal Dec. 12th-14th PARCC Testing

Fostering dogs saves lives

After+not+finding+a+loving+home%2C+Harmony+is+a+dog+from+Australian+waiting+for+a+home.+++
Back to Article
Back to Article

Fostering dogs saves lives

After not finding a loving home, Harmony is a dog from Australian waiting for a home.

Photo Credit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/9258photo/5152870210

By: Megan Anderson, Spring Reporter

Fostering dogs is very rewarding and a great way to get involved. In addition, if you foster dogs you are saving a life. More people should start fostering dogs, if they are dog lovers.

Photo Credit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/sapphir3blu3/3235526812
After being in a foster home, Updike has found a loving family whom adopted him.

What does it mean to foster a dog

Fostering a dog is when you take care of a dog in your house until the dog gets adopted or recovers from a surgery. According to Petfinder, about 8-12 million companion animals enter animal shelters nationwide every year. The shelters are very overcrowded, so fostering a pet is a way to save two lives.

Drama Teacher Stephanie Plakto, who has been involved with Animal Rescue since she was 15, stated, “I think of fostering dogs as a way I’m saving two lives. The dog I am fostering and the dog who gets to be in the kennel now.”

Fostering a dog is a very rewarding experience. Just the fact knowing that you are saving a life is so satisfying. When asked what was Plakto favorite part about fostering she stated, “Seeing them when they get adopted and see how happy the dogs are and the adoptive parents.”

Do you have what it takes to foster?

If you are a huge dog lover, then you should consider to foster. Before you start fostering, there are somethings to consider to see if fostering is a right fit.

First of all, if a dog that is being fostered needs surgery then most organizations will raise money for the surgery.

One of the toughest duties of fostering is having dogs who are not house trained. Plakto stated, “My least favorite part is cleaning and housebreaking. I try to send them out as best as I can hopefully learning at least one command.”

Photo Credit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Silverblueyorkie.JPG
After dogs come back from surgery, they should come back to a loving foster home. Instead of a over populated shelter.

However, fostering is not for everyone. If you are unable to foster with the fact that your other pets hates dogs or someone in your house is allergic to dogs there is still away to volunteer.

Other ways to volunteer

Plakto does a organization in Matawan NJ, called Husky House. Husky House  does more than just fostering. You can adopt a pet or you can be a volunteer. Being a volunteer is just as good as fostering. Being a volunteer means you can play with adorable dogs and just make them happy.

If anyone has the time and patience to foster a dog, it would be really helpful. Lastly, when Plakto was asked why should more people foster, her response was, ” So many dogs need homes, shelters are overcrowded and fostering opens up a place in a kennel.”

Megan Anderson, Editor

Megan Anderson is an 16 year old junior at Colonia High School. Anderson swims for her high school team (CHS), for her club team (Devilfish) and for...