A Christmas Prince warms your heart for the holidays

The official poster for its Netflix release.
Photo Credit: Photo via Wikimedia Commons under Creative Commons License
The official poster for it’s Netflix release.

A Christmas Prince is a Netflix Original film released on November 17, 2017.  The movie’s cast consists of Rose Mclver, Ben Lamb, Tom Knight, Sarah Douglas, Daniel Fathers, Alice Krige and Tahirah Sharif.  

The film is 1 hour and 32 minutes long- long enough to snuggle up with your family and warm your heart for the Holiday season.

Summary

An aspiring journalist named Amber gets assigned to cover the coronation of Prince Richard of Aldovia as King.  The Prince happens to have a reputation of drama and being a playboy. Upon travelling to Aldovia, the palace staff mistake Amber for the tutor of Richard’s younger sister, Emily.  Emily tries to prank Amber . Amber soon befriends Emily and gets a closer look at the Prince, who happens to be kindhearted and caring- the opposite of his identity in the tabloids.  With his cousin being equally desperate for the crown and his ex-girlfriend Lady Sophia who’s eager to become queen, Richard struggles with being the prime leader his father was.

Yet, Amber soon brings laughter and warmth to the castle, slowly healing Richard and Emily from the loss of their father, the King. Upon getting closer to Richard, Amber soon starts to fall for him, as he does for her.

Review

This film was very heartwarming and could be classified as Family film. A Christmas Prince gives you a cozy love story for all ages to enjoy.  The acting was pretty decent, although a bit over-the-top at moments (but, hey what can you expect from a royal Christmas love story?). The cast generally does a great job at delivering a cheery and festive story to life.

Audience Opinions

The film seemed pretty well- received by the audience in general.  It has a rating of 93% by Google Users and 78% by Rotten Tomatoes.

Many critics agree that A Christmas Prince does a good job at presenting a festive story of finding true love-

“By those metrics, A Christmas Prince is an instant classic. It’s a Netflix original movie, but it feels like a violation of nature that it somehow isn’t from Lifetime or the Hallmark Channel.” says Dana Schwartz.

“… it’s everything you want a holiday film to be: cheesy, hopeful, a little bit ridiculous, and overall as warm and toasty as the fireplace you’re watching it next to..” adds Lea Palmieri.

I would give this film a good 4 out of five presents.  It is a bit too romantic for my taste, yet does a good job as a jolly Christmas film!