A generational classic movie, ‘A Christmas story’ is a must watch

Photo Credit: Bob Clark Films
Fun fact- when this movie was released in theaters, it was not a hit; In fact it only became a hit after it was released on video.

“A Christmas Story” has become a holiday classic, cherished by generations of viewers. The relatable characters and the nostalgic settings make it a personal favorite to many. The movie offers a heartwarming and entertaining journey to Christmas.

Generational

“A Christmas Story” is a film that was released in the 1980’s, which follows a nine year-old boy named Ralphie Parker. The film is narrated by his older self, remembering the adventures he had with his friends a few weeks before Christmas.

According to Desert.com, what makes the movie “A Christmas story” a classic is that it’s the first of its kind. Before, Hollywood had only released Christmas movies that were dramatic, touching stories on struggle and giving life. However this movie was different.

Instead of focusing on kindness, generosity, hope, Santa Claus– they centered their movie on a middle-class family with a story that was told through the eyes of a 9-year-old boy.

Believable

The family goes out to buy a Christmas tree when the tires of their car blows up. As Ralphie is helping his father, he drops the f-bomb to imitate him when a hubcap is knocked out of his hands.

He was punished with soap in his mouth. This is believable because I always wanted to be like my father. Therefore, when I say inappropriate words, I would be punished by sitting in a corner.

On Christmas morning, Ralphie wakes up to see that it has snowed overnight.  Ralphie’s  parents are on the couch when they ask him if he got what he wanted and then points out to a hidden present. Ralphie opens the present and is appalled by the sight of a Red Ryder BB gun. My dad always knew what I wanted because we have similar interests, so he would get things based on what he liked as a kid.

Relatable

He recalls the only thing he wanted was a Red Ryder BB gun. However, he knows this is something he can’t ask his parents for. Therefore, he goes on a journey to subtly plant the idea in their minds rather than requesting the rifle directly.

When I was younger, I was always nervous asking my parents what I wanted for Christmas. However, I never asked for much so I ended up getting it.

Another thing that I had found relatable is when Flick sticks his tongue on the pole because of a triple dog dare. Now, as a kid, when you were dared, you were obliged to do it. It doesn’t make sense now but it did when I was younger.

Acting

The acting in this movie is admirable, with each actor bringing their character to life with authenticity and charm. Peter Billingsley, who plays Ralphie put on a memorable performance, capturing the innocence of a young boy in the early 1940’s.

The actors who played Ralphie’s parents, added depth and humor to the film. Overall, the acting contributes to long lasting popularity and status of a holiday classic