Looking Back at 2018’s Best Movies

Back to Article
Back to Article

Looking Back at 2018’s Best Movies

Photo Credit: Photo via Pixabay under creative commons license

By: Olivia Voreas, Reporter

It’s a new year, and a lot has happened. While looking back, many new movies have released in 2018. Many of the new releases we had our hopes up for, and some we knew nothing about ended with us pleasantly surprised. A lot of new ideas and plots were introduced in this past year. According to IMDb, these are five best movies that were released in 2018.  

1.) A Star is Born (R)

Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper are magic together is this emotional, groundbreaking remake of the 1937 film A Star is Born. About a musician (Cooper) who helps a young singer (Gaga) find fame even as age and alcoholism take over his life and affect their careers. “A magnificent movie, captivating performances by Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga. The ultimate shock was how brilliant Lady Gaga was, we knew she could sing, but didn’t have any idea just how far her acting talent stretches! After watching that I can tell you it stretches far enough to earn her some Oscar gold,” stated a review. The movie was released October 5, 2018 and is rated a 8.1/10 stars.

2.) A Quiet Place (PG-13)

A Quiet Place, directed by John Krasinski, is based in a post-apocalyptic world. A family is forced to hide in silence from aliens that have ultra-sensitive hearing and kill anything and anyone who makes noise. “Yes. Finally a horror film that made me cry. I cry in a lot in films, but never horror films because sadness is something I don’t usually feel,” stated a review. This film is suspenseful, and emotional. It is certain to have you at the edge of your seat with every scene.

3.) Searching (PG-13)

“If you are not crying with in the first 10 minutes or even the last 5 minutes, then you are much stronger than me. This movie will grab your heart and will not let you go.” states one review on IMDb. Searching, directed by Aneesh Chaganty, is about a father (John Cho) who searches through his 16-year old daughters laptop after she goes missing. He’s determined to find clues and any leads possible to get his daughter back. This film shows many different ways on how technology could benefit and backfire. With over 68,000 ratings, it is said to be a 7.7/10 motion picture. The release date of Searching was August 31, 2018.

4.) The Guilty (R)

Directed by Gustav Moller, The Guilty is about a police officer (Jakob Cedergren) who’s assigned alarm dispatch duty. But, when a kidnapped woman calls, he enters a race against time to help her. One review states that “This tense, tight movie takes place  entirely at a 911 emergency call center, and almost all of the time, we see only the police officer talking on the phone. Keeping up with the tension in such a limited setting is an impressive feature for both director and star.” This film was released on October 19, 2018. With over 14,000 reviews it was rated a 7.6/10. It’s a drama, crime, and thriller movie. It contains a lot of suspense and shock within an hour and 25 minutes.

5.) Mission: Impossible – Fallout (PG-13)

Mission: Impossible – Fallout , directed and written by Christopher McQuarrie, is the sixth movie of the franchise. Ethan Hunt (Tom Cruise) and his IMF team have to fight after a mission goes wrong. According to a review on IMDb, this movie is “a terrific family-action movie from the start until the end…mesmerizing action, great acting and directing.” With over 200,000 ratings on IMDb, Mission: Impossible – Fallout is a 7.8/10 and was released July 27, 2018.

In conclusion, 2018 was open to a lot of different genres and story-lines. 2019 directors and actors have big shoes to fill.

Olivia Voreas, Reporter

Olivia Voreas is a 15 year old Sophomore at Colonia High School. She grew up in Colonia, attended Claremont Avenue School #20 for elementary school, and...