Texting and driving

Never look away from the wheel, because you may never see the people walking across the street or the person in front of you
Photo Credit: “Photo via Wikimedia Commons under Creative Common License”

Being able to drive on your own is an amazing experience, but there are many things one may face that can ruin that whole experience in a single day. If you could think of one thing that annoys most drivers, what would it be? In my opinion, drivers who text, call, or just plain old using their phone when driving drive me nuts!

Going to school every day with my girlfriend, I see a good deal of other drivers on their phone, taking selfies recklessly, or texting while behind the wheel of their car. From that experience, I can come to the conclusion that driving while texting or calling someone is very dangerous, and very illegal. I can’t count how many times I see other students driving and texting and almost hit other cars, or the light post, or go up the sidewalk, simply from not paying attention. It’s a major problem for new drivers and experienced drivers alike.

There are already laws that are supposed to prevent drivers from using any hand held device while driving, and whether or not people choose to listen to those laws are totally up to them. However, it would be nice to have some law enforcement in our school roads to make sure students follow the rules. Another idea is to have an app that can detect when someone is driving in a car and prevent the phone from being used.

So how would more law enforcement and a preventive app help stop texting and driving? Well, it probably won’t stop it entirely, but it will greatly lower the amount of drivers who use their devices while driving. Think about it, if the driver sees a cop around, they won’t pull their phone out and use it, and if they have an app that prevents one from using the phone, then there would be no point of using it while driving. It’s a win-win.

Some would say that texting and driving isn’t even that dangerous, that some people can handle both driving and using their device at the same time and that it’s not a distraction, wait what? Texting and driving is a huge distraction, even taking your eyes away from driving for just a second could be a fatal decision. Let’s face it, nobody could argue that texting, calling, or simply looking at anything except the road is good, it just isn’t safe at all.

I think it’s safe to say that texting and driving needs to come to an end. With the aid of law enforcement, and some creative minds, being able to use a mobile device and drive won’t even be possible, hopefully, and distracted drivers can’t be distracted anymore, and the roads around the school, and the world will be one step closer to being safer.