“Let it Snow” is awfully cliche but wonderfully Christmas

Photo Credit: photo via netflix under creative commons license
New Netflix movie, Let It Snow

As winter is bearing its frosty head, Christmas is lurking around the corner beside it. Tis’ the season for Santa hats, hot chocolate and joy all around. Christmas 2019 isn’t here yet and Netflix is already ahead of the holiday movie game. Netflix presented users with new winter-themed  Such as Klaus, A Cinderella Story: Christmas Wish and Holiday Rush.

However, there is one that sticks out from the rest. Luke Snellin directs the American Christmas romantic comedy film. Reviewed as 5.8 our of 10 by IMBD. Let It Snow is based on the book written by John Green. Released on November 8th, the summary is A snowstorm hits a small midwestern town on Christmas Eve, bringing together a group of high school students. They soon find their friendships and love lives colliding, and Christmas morning, nothing will be the same. The cast is well-known actors, Isabella Moner (Instant Family), Kiernan Shipka (Chilling Adventures of Sabrina), Mitchell Hope (Descendants), Jacob Batalon (Spider-Man Homecoming and Spider-man Far From Home), Shameik Moore (Spider-Man into the spider-verse), Joan Cusack (Toy Story 2), Odeya Rush (The Giver).

On Let It Snow’s behalf, the trailer does not give any justice to this feel-good movie.

There are three main plot twists to follow in Let It Snow. They all take place in the same small town on Christmas Eve.

The first thread is the classic, “I have been in love with you since we were kids but you don’t know” cliche. Tobin (Mitchell Hope) and Angie (Kiernan Shipka) are both childhood best friends. Tobin refuses to confess to Angie in fear of rejection and ruining their friendship. But of course, here comes handsome, feminist, yoga enthusiast JP (Matthew Noszka). Tobin admits that he is in love with his best friend after seeing Angie and JP hit it off.

The second plot revolves around Dorrie (Liv Hewson), who is crushing on Tegan (Anna Akana). however, when Tegan pretends not to notice her in public, Dorrie is confused and upset.

Last but not least gravitates over Julie Reyes (Isabel Merced) and Stuart Bale (Shameik Moore, the voice of Miles Morales in Spider-Verse).

Julie is an intelligent, young girl who is struggling to adjust her acceptance into Columbia University with the fact that her single mother is incredibly sick. She ends up running into Stuart, a famous musician and pop star who’s passing through town and gets stuck in the snow.

The character, Stuart Bale is basically a Wattpad fanfiction dream man. If anyone were to write a poorly written fanfiction, this is most likely how they would write that character. It is similar to the Disney movie, “Starstruck” when it comes to romance and living in different worlds. The actor who plays Stuart Bale is phenomenal in his role. Moore has a way of delivering his lines that is natural and casual.

Let It Snow rings true. Or at least as true as a sweet, feel-good Christmas movie can get. We can all relate to feeling like whatever is happening in your life at that point in time is the most essential thing ever.  There is plenty of scenarios in this film that at least someone can relate to. Like worrying that your significant other is cheating on you, how about anxiety over leaving your parents for college? Or falling in love with your best friend?

The plotlines are well-balanced and the audience’s investment is evenly distributed. The trailer barely gave any insight into how surprisingly warm this movie is. The jokes in the trailer were unfunny because of how poorly directed it was. When watching the film, we laughed a good amount of times to pridefully announce it as a comedy. Although the number of side plots in this movie outweighs in important than others. For example, Julia and Stuart’s relationship is more exciting than the party at Waffle Town or even the fight between Dorrie and Addie. The director definitely did an amazing job of including diversity and other cultures. For example, the church accepts all religions and makes a point that everyone is included in this festive holiday.

The actors have an adorable connection with each other. The love chemistry never feels forced or tackey. 

Overall, do not expect complex character development. Considering this is a romantic-comedy, we feel as it does a perfect job of providing that. It is cheesy and comfortably cliche. The Declaration thoroughly enjoyed this feel-good movie where everyone received their happy endings, believable or not.

I recommend giving the movie a try!