Society will leave you speechless

Photo Credit: Photo via IMDb under the Creative Common License.
“Society” premiered on Netflix on May 10, 2019 and has lured in viewers in the past year.

Netflix’s Original, Society is a mystery teen drama that creates much suspense and leaves their audience wanting more. Though there hasn’t been much buzz about it, I believe it deserves a better reputation and Society will definitely leave you speechless.

Synopsis

Society follows a story of when a group of high school students is forced to leave their town due to an unusual smell. The mystery begins when these students return home from their canceled school trip and realize everyone is missing. They try to evacuate but a dense forest appears surrounding the town, therefore they have no connection to the outside world. These teenagers have to come up with a way to stay alive and get back to their families.

Overview

The first season premiered on Netflix on May 10, 2019, which consists of ten forty-five minutes episodes. The creator of the program is Christopher Keyser, he also created the series Party of Five.  Director Marc Webb and Mr. Keyser began pitching the show in 2o14 to Showtime. However, since they decided to pass on the series Netflix announced that they are going to give the production a series order. The first season was filmed in Lancaster, Massachusetts, from September to November in 2018. Then on April 30, 2019, the official trailer was released to the public.

Review

Though this show is about a group of teenagers, it is not meant for children to watch. It contains sensitive content that I feel is not appropriate for children. As a result, I feel people from age fifteen and up are mature enough to watch this show.

I’ve became hooked after the first episode, due to the plot, acting, and cliff hangers. Seeing how teenagers would act if they were in charge was intriguing and entertaining. It was quite realistic and I could see something similar happening if that was a reality. Therefore the creators did a great job of getting their audience hooked and having the urge to continue watching.

The acting was performed very well and had relevant characters. A show with bad characters and actors that don’t relate to their characters is not enjoyable.  However, this is not the case in Society, all the actors fit their characters and make them more realistic. The main character, Allie Pressman, played by Kathryn Newton, really brought the story to life. Her way of portraying a young girl who soon needs to take charge of her community is shocking. She was by far my favorite character and kept me guessing the entire show.

The show has a 4.7 rating out of 5, which is exceptionally good. According to Rotten Tomatoes the show received 86% rotten tomatoes and 75% popcorn and 95% of Google users liked the show.

In conclusion, I went into this show waiting to be disappointed. However, that quickly changed after I watched the first episode. I really enjoyed the first season and I can’t wait for the second season to come out. Though there hasn’t been much buzz about it, I believe it deserves a better reputation and Society will definitely leave you speechless.