2 easy mug cakes recipes to make at home

Photo Credit: Photo via Christia Assa
To make the chocolate and snicker-doodle mug cake above, it takes under 5 minutes to do.

Every now and then we all have a craving for dessert, but don’t have time to spend hours preparing and making desserts. Mug cakes are a quick and easy dessert to make.

The Invention of Mug Cakes

It is unsure of when mug cakes were first invented, but we know it became a trend around 2017. Mug cakes are an easier dessert to make if you do not want to use an oven to bake. Mug cakes are a smaller version of a cake and it is quick and efficient to make. It is all of the ingredients of a cake, but put into a mug. All you need to make mug cakes are the ingredients, a mug, and a microwave.

In 1967, the first microwave was released by the Amana Corporation. Then about 10 years later more affordable microwaves were released, which made microwaves more popular. Finally, 50 years later the invention of mug cakes came alive in the Invention Age.

Mug Cake’s Popularity

We invented things to meet our needs and mug cakes were one of those inventions. Not everyone has the time and patience to make a cake. A lot of people started making mug cakes around 2017. Pictures and recipes of mug cakes exploded all over the internet. In 2017, food critic Duncan Hines released a mug cakes brand Perfect Size for 1. It is a mug cake mix that you can buy and it has all the dry ingredients ready to go. The brand releases 18 different flavors you can choose from like cinnamon coffee Cake, carrot cake, and many more.

These are also perfect to make if you do not want to make a large serving of cake. In my household I am the only one with a sweet tooth. Even though I really love cake, I can never finish a large serving all by myself. 

Today I will be showing you two simple mug cake recipes you can do at home. 

Recipe for Chocolate Mug Cake 

Photo Credit: Photo via Christia Assa                                                          

Ingredients

For this recipe you are going to need:

¼ cup of all-purpose flour 

¼ cup of white sugar 

2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder 

⅛ teaspoon baking soda 

⅛ teaspoon salt 

3 tablespoon milk  

2 tablespoons canola oil 

1 tablespoon water

¼ teaspoon vanilla extract (you can substitute with ⅛ teaspoon of almond extract)  

2 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)

Handful of almonds (optional)

Directions 

First, you gather all your ingredients and make sure you have the correct measurement. When you have all the ingredients together you put the flour, sugar, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking soda and salt (the dry ingredients) and mix them together in your mug. After you finish mixing them thoroughly, add the milk, canola oil, water and vanilla extract (the wet ingredients) and mix it all together. This is optional, but you can add chocolate chips and almonds to your mug cake. Following, when you are done put it in the microwave for about 1 minute and 45 seconds. At last, let it cool down and you then you can eat. 

Recipe for Snickerdoodle Mug Cake

Photo Credit: Photo via Christia Assa

Ingredients

For this recipe you are going to need: 

¼ cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour 

2 tablespoons sugar 

¼ teaspoon baking powder 

½  teaspoon cinnamon 

¼ cup milk 

2 tablespoons of melted salted butter 

½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract (you can replace with ⅛ almond extract) 

Directions

To start with, gather all your ingredients and measure them out. After, mix in the flour, sugar, baking powder, and cinnamon into the mug and mix them together. In addition to this, add the milk, melted salted butter, and vanilla extract together. The batter should stick together and not be liquidy like the other recipe. You can add a handful of almonds and ½ teaspoons of sugar and cinnamon powder on the top. Next. when you are done put it in the microwave for about 1 minute to 1 ½ minutes. Last but not least, let the mug cake cool down and you can eat.