Celebrating Halloween amid the Coronavirus pandemic

Photo Credit: Photo via Wikimedia Commons under the Creative Commons License
Halloween during Covid may scare you more than a slasher movie, but it is still allowed to be celebrated in New Jersey.

Halloween, October 31, is a fun holiday where everyone gets together to do some fall activities. This includes trick or treating, which seems difficult to do during the coronavirus pandemic.

Trick or Treating

Many have asked, “will trick or treating still happen this year?” Due to COVID-19, we have had to stay apart from others to make sure we don’t  expose to ourselves or others to the virus. When you go trick or treating, you walk up to someone’s door and ask them for candy, and they end up handing it to you. This is not six feet apart, so how will this happen? Of course, everyone loves Halloween and wants this activity to happen because it’s a time for children to dress up and have fun.

In New Jersey, Halloween has been cancelled once before during Hurricane Sandy. So many New Jerseyans know how upsetting not being able to go out on Halloween is. Thankfully, Governor Murphy did not cancel Halloween this year but some towns such as Glen Ridge have recently cancelled Trick or Treating. Somerset County’s Bound Brook and Union County’s Plainfield also cancelled Trick or Treating this year. However, there are some different guidelines than usual. He urges everyone to wear a mask while trick or treating and to only go in small groups.  As for those handing out the candy, it’s suggested that you arrange the candy so it’s not touched by that many people. Also, to wear your mask and wash your hands often to limit exposure. Some towns are providing printable signs townspeople can put up if they will not be distributing candy this year.

Pumpkin Picking and other Halloween activities

Pumpkin picking is another popular fall activity. Since these pumpkin picking patches are outside, it’s a lot easier to open than other places. While going pumpkin picking, you must wear your mask. Many pumpkin picking patches started to sell tickets online to limit the amount of guests. Happy Day Farm, specifically, has a limit of tickets that are allowed to be sold. If you do not get a ticket for the date you want to go, they will not let you in.

Some places are allowing people to walk-in, just to go pumpkin picking. However, those who host different activities (hayrides and other fall festival activities), make people buy a ticket before entry. These places are still hosting their usual fall festival activities, but with less people and more restrictions.

Indoor haunted houses are a no go this Halloween. Residents are strongly urged to not attend these indoor haunted houses, if they are even open. Regular and haunted hayrides are allowed to proceed this Halloween. Those outdoor haunted houses and haunted hayrides are urged to sell tickets beforehand. This is to limit the amount of people on these hayrides. These hayrides are encouraged to limit the amount of passengers and to stagger entries of riders.

Staying safe this Halloween

Whatever fall/Halloween activity you are planning to partake in this year, make sure you follow the correct guidelines. You should wear a mask and distance yourself from others wherever you go. Even though this is not the Halloween we are used to, we have to follow these guidelines to make sure ourselves and others are safe. It is still possible to have fun this Halloween, even during the pandemic.