Josh Ingram leads St Joe’s past No. 8 Colonia

Photo Credit: Sofia Sokolow
In a nail biter, Colonia boys’ basketball fell to St. Joe’s Metuchen. Aiden Derkack led Colonia with 12 points.

Josh Ingram shined in last night’s win against Colonia with 26 points en route to a 47-45 nail biter win.

Falcons guard Jeremy Clayville added 11 points for St Joseph(9-4) to add to Ingram’s solid performance. Colonia(11-4) held a comfortable lead heading into halftime,up 28-18 after outscoring the Falcons 19-9 in the second quarter. Unfortunately they were outplayed in the second half with St Joe’s outscoring them 29-17.

As for Colonia, freshman guard Aiden Derkack led the way with 12 points. Jaeden Jones added 11 points along with Noah Taylor’s 10 points and 8 boards in Colonia’s 4th loss of the season.

After a 10-1 start, Colonia has dropped 3 of their last 4, beginning with a 23 point loss to the one-seeded St Thomas and followed by a 58-40 loss to Linden. In each of their last 3 losses, they have been outscored in the second half by more than 10.

In spite of their brief cold stretch, Colonia is still in a good spot sitting at number 8 overall in the GMC and number 2 only behind St Thomas in the GMC Red Division. Jaeden Jones, Aiden Derkack and Noah Taylor have been leading the way for Colonia. Jones leads in scoring with 14.1 points per game, Taylor leads the team with an average of 8.7 boards a game and defensively Derkack leads with 2.1 steals per game. The Patriots have also received help from junior James Curet averaging 1.8 blocks per game.

As for St Joe’s, they sit at 10th in the GMC and 3rd, just behind Colonia in the Red Division. After a 6-3 start, the Falcons have won 3 of their last 4, only losing to St Thomas(16-1). They have been dominant in their wins, outscoring their opponents 180-142. Jeremy Clayville and Josh Ingram have led the way. Clayville leads in scoring,averaging 19 points per game, Josh Ingram is a close second averaging 18.9 PPG. Ingram also leads the team defensively, with a total of 5 steals on the season.

Colonia Update: The Patriots are now 13-4 and have moved up to 7th in the GMC conference after 2 straight close wins against South Brunswick and a buzzer beater win against Robbinsville, thanks to Senior guard Anthony Gooden. In both games they’ve turned it around,outplaying both of their opponents in the second half. Jones, Taylor and Derkack are still leading the way. Jones is now averaging 13.4 PPG, Taylor is averaging 8.6 rebounds and Derkack is averaging 2.2 steals per game. The Patriots have also received key contributions from James Curet(1.7 blocks per game) and Anthony Gooden(10.6 PPG). Their next game is against East Brunswick(5-11). 

St Joe’s Update: The Falcons have improved to 10-5 after a comfortable 78-62 win against Roselle. Clayville and Ingram once again put up great stat-lines, with Clayville putting up 28 points and Ingram adding a productive 14. Unfortunately they lost a close one to St Thomas thanks to another productive game from standout junior Michael Jones. They have now won 2 of their last 3 and still find themselves in a solid position(11th in conference,3rd in Red Division). Their next match up will be a tough one against the 13-2 Seton Hall Prep.