Shooting a basketball the correct way

Techniques on shooting form
Photo Credit: Ayanna Abdul’Ahad
With her arm in the proper 90 degree angle, this shot has the form to be an easy two points.

Basketball was invented in 1891 in Springfield, Massachusetts by Doctor James Naismith with a ball and a peach basket. The first basketball type game may have been played by the early Olmec people of ancient Mexico as early as 500 years ago.

If you want to be a superb shooter, you must have basketball shooting form and technique. Your shooting form will never be 100%, and you don’t want to be stiff with it. You’ll never be a great shooter unless you have a form and mechanics. It’s very common for players to have fatal flaws in their approach, and frankly they have no chance of becoming consistent shooters.

Shooting a basketball is really hard for beginners the key things you’ll need are Eyes on Target, Stance and Balance, Shot Pocket, Grip, Balance Hand, Delivery, Upforce and Landing, Follow Through and Correct Shot.

Eyes on the target to improve accuracy, locate the rim as early as possible and keep your eyes on the target and do not follow the flight of the ball you have to always keep the target the rim because that’s the most important part.

Secondly, the balance feet are shoulder width apart for good balance the feet should be in a slightly staggered stance that is consistent and comfortable for you. Your shooting foot is slightly ahead of the non-shooting foot in a comfortable position. With an open stance, your feet point towards one side of the basket. Like me, a right handed shooter will point I  would set my feet just to the left of the rim for a more natural position and shooting motion and bend your knees on every shot.

Third, as you catch the ball, move it quickly into the shot pocket you are suppose to line everything up so the ball and your shooting eye form a straight line to the basket. This is important. Position the ball several inches above your waist. Then Grip the ball properly and be ready to shoot. Position the ball in your shot pocket the same exact way every time you catch it.

Also you need to place your finger on the air hole between the middle and index fingers Line up your fingertip pads parallel to the long seams of the ball, so you can monitor the backspin. Spread your fingers far enough apart to comfortably balance the ball in one hand. The ball should sit on your finger pads.

Lastly, just before you reach the height of your jump, release the ball, with your shooting hand aimed at the basket. Straighten your elbow and push your wrist so that the ball arches. Rather than moving toward the basket in a straight line. As you release the ball, your guiding hand should move to lightly touch your shooting arm just below the wrist.

Roll the ball off your fingertips toward the basket. You can tell whether you shot it properly by looking at the backspin; if the lines of the basketball spin symmetrically, you positioned the ball properly. Then the follow through is the most important part. If you shoot from your wrist without following through the shot won’t be nearly as accurate. Your shooting hand will resemble the shape of a swan. Your arm is arched elegantly toward the basket, with your hand loosely cocked downward and your fingers pointed toward the hoop.

During games you should train your self to not think about the shooting mechanics. Just try and think of nothing at all just the game don’t think as much, just go with the flow. Before the games start you should just doing a quick shooting session.

Player Cruz Menéndez say “In order to have the perfect form you have follow through with your shot that’s the most important part, I make most of my shots because I follow must of rules for shooting. If you cant master the rules of a good shot just practice. PRACTICE MAKES PREFECT.”

” I’ve been playing basketball every since I was 10 years old, I have always had that money shot. I bend me knees and follow through with my shot. I am a lefty and it was very hard for me to adapted to the lefty life,” Amaya Martinez said.

“After I learned the correct way to shot I was dropping dimes, my shot is nothing but water. You cant stop my money shot,” Franklin Menendez.

As NCAA states, “You don’t shoot it on the way up, you don’t shoot it on the way down … you have to take the shot right at the peak of your jump.  It takes a little practice.  It’s all wrists and fingers when you release it.”