The natural disaster that rocked the globe

January 30, 2018

The natural disaster Hurricane Maria

Photo Credit: Photo via Wikipedia under Creative Commons License

Crossing the Atlantic ocean Hurricane Maria directly affects Dominica and Puerto Rico

The Devastating Hurricane season

The 2017 Atlantic hurricane season was a hyperactive, deadly, and extremely destructive season, featuring 17 named storms. The year ranking alongside 1936 as the fifth-most active season since records began in 1851. The three most devastating storms that directly affected North America were hurricane Harvey, hurricane Irma, and hurricane Maria. Hurricane Harvey was the costliest tropical cyclone on record, inflicting approximately $190 billion in damage, primarily from widespread flooding in the Houston metropolitan area. Then Hurricane Irma was the strongest storm on record to exist in the open Atlantic region and was the fifth costliest hurricane on record. Hurricane Maria directly hit Dominica and Puerto Rico. It is considered the worst natural disaster in the history of the region. The Hurricane season of 2017 affected millions of people and created immeasurable damage. But through the mayhem, millions of people came to the aid of those in need.

Photo of Frankie Brock
Frankie Brock, Editor in Chief

Frankie Brock is a 17  year old Senior at Colonia High School. She is the Senior Class Presidents and loves getting involved in all Colonia High School...

The Declaration • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in