La La Land is a romantic classic of this century

The movie poster for the classic romantic movie, La La Land. Starring Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling.

Photo Credit: Photo via IMDb under the Creative Commons License

By: Hillary Wolanski, Reporter

La La Land was released on December 9, 2016 to all movie theaters. I believe that this movie is beyond all others and will inspire you to want to get up and sing.

This movie includes famous actors such as Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone, John Legend, and many others. The movie was directed by Damien Chazelle. In addition, this movie is 2 hours and 8 minutes, but it is definitely worth sitting down and watching.

Plot

Photo via Flickr under the Creative Common License.

Sebastian (Gosling) and Mia (Stone) watching a movie extremely close to each other.

Mia Dolan (Emma Stone) is caught in Los Angeles rush hour traffic one sunny afternoon and almost hits Sebastian Wilder (Ryan Gosling). Wilder quickly drives off and proceeds on with a sad, gloomy day. Dolan makes her way to an audition, aspired to be a succeeding actress, but doesn’t book the role. As she makes her way back to her apartment, her friends persuade her to go to a party that night.

Her and all of her friends are all dressed up ready to go singing catchy music from the soundtrack. When Dolan gets to the party, she slowly regrets going to a party. She is upset and knows no one. She starts to wonder down the street, leaving the party, until she starts to hear a beautiful jazz song. Dolan enters in the restaurant and discovers Wilder playing his heart out on the piano. From there their love story blossoms.

History & Soundtrack

This movie first premiered on August 31, 2016 at the 73rd Venice International Film Festival. Beforehand, in 2010 Justin Hurwitz and Chazelle first came up with the movies soundtrack and screenplay. The idea didn’t get picked up by any production companies at first, but finally was pursued by Summit Entertainment in 2014. They started filming quickly in 2015 to try to get it released as soon as possible.

The soundtrack was composed and orchestrated by Hurwitz. Most of the tracks were written by Pasek and Paul. Legend helped with the sound track too. The soundtrack is bound to get stuck in your head with catchy melodies that will have you up and dancing. It has the perfect broad way sound while also giving off extreme jazz vibes.

Reviews

La La Land received many awards including a record-breaking seven golden globes from seven nominations at the 74th Golden Globes. It was also claimed one of the top ten movies of 2016 by American Film Institute and National Board of Review. La La Land also received tons of nominations. at the 70th British Academy Film Awards the film had 11 nominations, resulting in five wins. At the 89 Academy Awards this film was nominated 14 times and won six categories including Best Director and Best Actress for Stone.

Overall

This movie is a great idea of a classic romance movie. The movie received a total worldwide box office total for $446.1 million. The movie is also rated PG-13 and I feel as if is perfect for a young-teenage audience to see what love and romance is really like. Not to mention, but the soundtrack will really have you in the mood to want to sing and dance.

Hillary Wolanski, Fall reporter

Hillary Wolanski is an 15 year old sophomore at Colonia High School. Wolanski is a new student this year coming from Delaware Valley High School in Pennsylvania....