Why Knives Out is the perfect modern-day whodunit

Photo Credit: photo via Lionsgate under creative commons license.
Because of Chris Evans’s performance, this Drama/Comedy/Thriller gets a 9.5/10

The Good Thoughts:

Knives Out directed by Rian Johnson is a very entertaining modern-day whodunit.  The film is about a dysfunctional family who came together to celebrate Harlan Thrombey’s 85th birthday.  Harlan Thrombey, played by Christopher Plummer was a best selling Mystery writer. The following morning after his 85th birthday party he was found dead by Fran, played by Edi Patterson. The following week Detective Lieutenant Eliot, played by Lakeith Stanfield  and a Trooper arrive at the Thrombey Estate.  Detective Blanc, played by Daniel Craig is also with them to ask the family a few questions about Harlan’s death.  The whole family is asked for their side of the story, all accept for Ransom Drysdale, played by Chris Evans,  was Harlan’s fashionable but rude grandson.

From The Slow to The Fast:

Ransom also straight up made fun of Detective Blanc by saying “What is this? CSI-KFC?” Mainly because of Blanc’s deep southern accent.  The first people to be asked for his or her side was Linda Drysdale, played by Jaime Lee Curtis.  Also her on screen husband Morris Drysdale Harlan’s son in law, played by Don Johnson.  The next people to be asked for their side of the story were Joni Thrombey, played by Toni Collette.

Next was Walter “Walt” Thrombey, played by Michael Shannon.  After that, Jacob Thrombey, played by Jaeden Lieberher.  Then, Meg Thrombey, played by Katherine Langford, and last was Harlan’s caretaker, Marta Cabrera, played by Ana de Armas.   The investigation began once Blanc asked for everyone’s point of view on the incident.  Detective Blanc wanted Marta to go with him since she seemed to have known a lot about Harlan.  As the film goes on we see a bond forming between Marta and Blanc.  on their investigation there were a few unclear clues that confused me. However, I understood all of it at the end of the movie when Detective Blanc revealed the culprit.

The Cast:

This film had an all-star cast according to its director Rain Johnson.  The movie mainly focused on Harlan, Marta, Ransom, and Detective Blanc which I din’t mind because all four of these characters were very fun and interesting to watch. I just wish that the other big actors and actresses such as Jaime Lee Curtis, Don Johnson, and Michael Shannon had larger roles. However, out of every actor and actress in this movie, my favorite was Chris Evans.   Ransom Drysdale, played by Evans, made me laugh throughout.  The one scene when Don Johnson’s and Michael Shannon’s characters had a slap fight, the whole theater bursted out into laughter.

The overall story started off pretty slow but as the movie went on things picked up speed.  Things started to pick up the pace after Harlan Thrombey’s will reading.    The reading of Harlan’s will became a huge argument.  I felt shocked as the mystery unfolded and I discovered the cause of Harlan Thrombey’s death.  My prediction was completely wrong.  Overall this was a perfect modern-day whodunit.   See it with a parent or guardian if you are not 13 or older because some scenes contain foul language. All in all, the movie was still very enjoyable.

The Problems:

I only had two problems with this film and that was most of the characters did not have a large role, and Jaeden Lieberher’s character did nothing except stay on his phone in almost every single scene he was in.

I GIVE THIS FILM A 9.5/10