• May 31Yearbook party is June 6th during blocks 1 and 2 (have to have purchased a yearbook)
  • May 30June 7- BSU's Juneteenth cookout - $2 per block
  • May 30SAT on June 1
  • May 30Prom is 5/31 - Have fun and stay safe

Can TLC really be considered ‘The Learning Channel?’

What do we really learn from TLC other than how to be judgmental of others?
Just in the U.S., 80 million viewers tune into TLC in 2021.
Photo Credit: Photo via TLC Discovery under creative commons license

What is TLC?

TLC stands for ‘The Learning Channel’. It airs a plethora of shows such as ‘My 600 lb Life,””7 Little Johnstons,” and “Sister Wives.” You can view other shows on TLC by visiting their website. Millions of people tune in to these shows and others daily. The real question, however, is what are we truly learning from these programmes? Other than the idea that it is okay to monetize the lives of people who live differently from us. 

The Negative

TLC, the supposed learning channel, perpetuates the idea that it is okay to profit off of those who have unconventional lives. Shows such as “My 600 lb Life,” or “Little People, Big World,” put people’s bodies in the spotlight and the shows receive money for the prostitution of bodies that are different from our own. Furthermore, though many people preach the idea that sexuality and love are meant to be celebrated, those ideals are all torn down with shows like “Sister Wives,” which showcase different interests or preferences as wrong or embarrassing. Overall, I believe we are not learning anything from TLC other than how to feel better about ourselves. 

The Positive

Others believe that TLC shows raise awareness and tolerance towards people who are shown as different. “Shows like this put a spotlight on things that we otherwise would try to ignore.” States Brooke Beyfuss. “It also shows how problems such as obesity or hoarding are often effects of mental illness. It brings attention to mental illness in the lives of others, another thing people often try to ignore.” 

Overall

Overall, there are mixed reviews on the types of shows that TLC airs. While some believe the shows are wrongly showing off the flaws of peoples lives for monetary value. Others believe that the shows bring awareness to lives that are unconventional. Which can be considered a positive because we often try to ignore unconventional lives in our day to day lives.