Lovestruck in the City: 2020’s most underrated K-drama

Photo Credit: Photo by Christia Assa
Featured on Netflix, the show Lovestruck in the City is available to watch.

2020 was filled with incredible K-dramas. Among the K-dramas that were released, Lovestruck in the City was not talked about enough. It was overshadowed by great shows like Run On and True Beauty. 

Overview

Lovestruck in the City is a South Korean romantic drama released in 2020-2021. It was directed by Park Shin-woo, who is known for his other work in It’s Okay to Not Be Okay and Encounter.  The show starred Ji Chang-wook, Kim Ji-won, Kim Min-seok, Han Ji-eun, Ryun Kung-soo, Soo Joo-yeon.  The show can be found to watch on KakaoTv or Netflix.

Summary

The format of the show was in an interview style, they had six different people they interviewed. The six people that were interview has or had a relationship with an interviewee.

Park Jae-won (Ji Chang-wook) is an architect looking for a women who he fell in love with on his vacation to Yangyang beach. Lee Eun-o (Kim Ji-won) is working as a freelance marketer trying to find herself. She attempts to hide away from the man she fell in love with at her stay at Yangyang beach.

Choi Kyeong-jun (Kim Min-seok) and Seo Rin-i (So Joo-yeon) have been a couple for years. Then there is Kang Geon (Ryu Kyung-soo) who has not been in a relationship for a while, which is the opposite of Oh Seon-yeong (Han Ji-eun) who has been dating a lot of people.

Although there were three couples, it was focused more on this one couple, Park Jae-won and Lee Eun-o. The show takes you through when they first began their relationship to the struggle of Park Jae-won trying to find Lee Eun-o.

Review

In comparison to different K-dramas, this one is very unique. It was interesting to see how three different couples interlock with one another. The way the show was formatted it felt as if you were a part of the show. This made it easier for the audience to understand how the six individuals felt, specifically in their relationships. The show displayed the love life of three different couples, but it did a great job of showing how each individual feels.

Although it seems like there are three relationships displayed in the show, there is a hidden one. It is not a romantic relationship, but a relationship between friends. In Lovestruck in the City, there was a huge emphasis on friendships. It was heartwarming to see the strong bonds between the three friends. With a strong relationship, to begin with, it was intriguing to see how their friendship was able to grow even stronger. 

The actors and actresses played their roles well too, the emotions were portrayed well so that you get immersed in the show.

Compared to other K-dramas, this one is very short. The show has 17 episodes and each episode was about 30 minutes long. If you are expecting a long drama, this is not the drama for you. It was disappointing when I first found out the drama was going to be this short. Unlike what you would assume with short shows though, nothing was rushed and there were no plot holes.

Other than the episodes being short, Lovestruck in the City is a great show to watch!