Has Sneaker Reselling ruined the Sneaker Community?

Photo Credit: photo via wikipedia under creative commons license
According to Leaders, by 2026 the sneaker industry is estimated to be worth $100 billion. By 2030, the sneaker resale industry is expected to grow $30 billion.

Sneaker reselling has become a big trade over the past few years. Numerous people have created businesses and companies to sell and buy Limited edition and Rare sneakers. However, this has additionally led to many controversies, with several arguing that resellers are guiding up prices and making it harder for sneakerheads to get their hands on the shoes they want. 

There are definitely some pros and cons to the sneaker resale industry. On one hand, it is gaining many people profit because there are people who will do a lot or pay a lot to get their hands on certain sneakers to add to their collection. 

On the other hand, there exist concerns over the effects on the wider sneaker community. Prices for several sneakers have skyrocketed, creating them unaffordable for numerous buyers. “Nike Stores, including any consumer rights or policies offered in Nike Stores, are intended solely for the benefit of end consumers, and therefore purchase of products for resale is strictly prohibited,” according to the terms of service.

Sneaker brands are starting to make rules to try to limit the number of shoes people buy because they know that if they are trying to get sneakers in bulk to resell them and make a profit from them. But this is actually the resellers getting the shoes for retail and then selling them for resell price. So the shoes go from $190 retail to the resellers listing of $300. No one has owned them yet. A high consumer list happens because people from all over try to buy the shoes from resellers. The Retail stores have run out of stock due to the resellers buying all the shoes in bulk.

Several have even accused resellers of hoarding Limited edition or rare sneakers or just launches for the purpose of making a profit on the sneakers when they buy them in bulk and don’t leave any for the people who just want to get the shoes for their personal collection.

I feel like sneaker reselling has made it harder for people to attain sneakers. Even stores like Footlocker, JD Sports, sneakers like that. Those stores don’t get supply now to even have good shoes on their walls. Now they just have basic shoes or just shoes no one would want.  I also think that there are some benefits to it. You attain the shoe faster if you buy from a reseller. The thing is that this may lead to the sneaker being overpriced.

Overall, the sneaker reselling industry is complicated and controversial. Whereas, there are definitely advantages to it. However, it’s crucial to think about the effects on the wider sneaker community. People should approach the trade with a sense of ethics and duty.