DC: unveiling upcoming film slate and impact on audiences

Photo Credit: Photo via Pixabay under Creative Commons Licence
Due to the success of Gunn’s “The Suicide Squad”, “Peacemaker” season two will release after “Superman: Legacy.” Safran is now finalizing “Aquaman 2” before its December release.

As of November 2022, James Gunn and Peter Safran are the co-CEOS and co-chairmen of DC Studios. Both have set an eight-to-ten-year plan of films and TV series set to “reset” the DC films’ continuity.

DC and “Black Adam”

After a much-anticipated post-credits scene featuring Henry Cavill as Superman, James Gunn made the shocking choice to write a new Superman film without Cavill as the man of steel. Although “Black Adam’s” post-credits scene was pleasing for fans, the film itself was met with negative press. Dwayne Johnson reportedly went above many executives at Warner Bros. to get a Henry Cavill cameo, despite James Gunn working on a different Superman film months prior.

Variety reported, “Black Adam,” which bowed Oct. 21, fizzled with a $391 million worldwide haul against a $195 budget plus $40 million in reshoots, scuttling any plans for more outings for the lightning bolt-wielding antihero and officially ending the Cavill Superman era.” Insiders reported Johnson’s demands would only keep increasing.

Johnson envisioned a cinematic universe where Cavill’s Superman would face Black Adam. Warner Bros. CEOs Mike DeLuca and Pam Abdy were even pushing for a potential Man of Steel 2. DeLuca was even in the running for the executive position for DC until Gunn and Safran got it. Johnson’s plans were put on hold when Gunn became co-CEO, and after a meeting with Johnson, Black Adam’s future was erased from the DCU.

“The Flash”

“The Flash” is hitting theaters on June 16. The long-awaited conclusion to the DCEU has been in production hell since 2013. It also doesn’t help that its main lead has been in a slew of legal trouble. From harassment charges to grooming minors, Ezra Miller hasn’t made the film’s marketing easy. During the film’s premiere in Los Angeles, Miller thanked Warner Bros. execs for their ‘discernment and care’.

Gunn came forward and explained “The Flash” will reset the DCU, and its many story lines. “The Flash” will also feature legacy actor Michael Keaton return as the caped crusader help Barry (Miller) on his multiversal adventure. Latina actress Sasha Calle will join Miller and Keaton as Supergirl. Calle wishes to play the character again in the upcoming “Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow”.

Despite its controversy, “The Flash” opened with positive reviews. The film has been heavily compared to “Back to the Future”, but its CGI has been its main criticism. Miller’s and Keaton’s performances are being praised, and the film is on track to earn $70 million dollars domestically opening weekend. The last two installments of the DCEU, “Blue Beetle” and “Aquaman 2” will open later this year. Gunn has praised “Blue Beetle”, revealing he’s the first character in the DCU.

“Superman: Legacy”

Last December, Henry Cavill came forward that he would no longer be playing Superman. Fans were both livid and confused following the actor’s cameo in “Black Adam”. CNN reported, “On Instagram, Cavill explained he had a meeting with filmmaker James Gunn and British film producer Peter Safran, who in October were named co-chairmen and chief executive officers of DC Studios.”

In January, Gunn and Safran revealed their plans for a Superman reboot set in their newly-formed DCU. Gunn titled the film, “Superman: Legacy.” The film is set to follow a younger Superman who must balance his Kryptonian heritage with his human upbringing. While not an origin story, it’ll introduce key characters like Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen.

Safran described Superman in the film as, “the embodiment of truth, justice and the American way; he’s kindness in a world that thinks of kindness as old fashioned”. While I am upset that Henry Cavill will be recast, I am still beyond excited for this project. Superman represents a beacon of hope, one that people can be inspired by. I hope this movie will reestablish the character’s original roots, and I have faith in Gunn’s direction for the character.

What’s more exciting is that the Authority will make their debut in the film. The Authority are a team of superheroes who will fight crime with any means necessary, and they can be violent. This juxtaposes Superman’s morals and ideals, so I’m excited to see how this will play out on the big screen.

DC introduces “The Brave and the Bold”

“The Brave and the Bold” will be heavily inspired by Grant Morrison’s “Batman & Robin” comic book run. The film will explore various members of the Bat-Family which audiences have never truly seen on the big screen in live-action. Most importantly, the film will introduce Batman’s son, Damian Wayne. Wayne is by far my favorite Robin because of the arc he goes through in the comics. I’m excited to watch the intense father-son dynamic between Batman and his murderous son.

Gunn also confirmed that Matt Reeves’ “The Batman” films will continue to happen via DC Elseworlds. It’s exciting to see two iterations of the character unfold over the silver screen in front of our eyes. “The Batman” depicts Batman during his first few years of crime-fighting, while “The Brave and the Bold” will depict an older Batman who must care for Robin. I’m excited to see how this iteration of Batman will connect with the new iteration of Superman.

Another important piece of news is that Andy Muschietti is being tapped to direct the project. Muschietti directed “The Flash”, and he’s being praised for his handling of both Ben Affleck and Keaton’s Batmen. Muschietti will not formally commit until a script has been finalized, which will happen after the conclusion of the 2023 Writers Guild of America strike.