• April 11Earth Day Event on Friday, April 19 from 8:30am ā€“ 2:00pm in the Science Courtyard
  • April 11Safety Ambassadors Trip to School #29 on Wednesday, April 24 from 9:20 ā€“ 11:00am
  • April 11Vietnam Veterans Memorial trip on Thursday, April 25 at 9:30am ā€“ 1:00pm

Divergent merges romance with a dystopian society

Photo Credit: Photo Via: flickr under Creative Commons License
On March 21, 2014, “Divergent” was released as a movie.

Divergent” by Veronica Roth, is a New York Times Bestseller which envelopes you into the “perfect” world.

Who is Veronica Roth?

Roth is a 35 year-old, who graduated from Northwestern University of Illinois. She first made her dent in “Divergent” during her winter break as a senior in college. Right off the bat, she secured a deal with an agent, and published it the following year. Since “Divergent,” Roth continued to write and completed the series with three more books.

Her books became so wide known that Red Wagon Productions, Summit Entertainment, and Red Wagon Entertainment, produced her books into movies. By “Divergent” itself, Roth made around $17 million from ebook and print.

What is “Divergent” about?

“Divergent” is a romance/science/dystopian young adult novel, which centers Beatrice’s–Tris–life. Like everyone else, Beatrice was born into a Faction. Though she has spent all of her life following her parents footsteps, deep down she knew she was born for something else. When the Choosing Ceremony came around, Beatrice did something no one ever expected: she chose Dauntless. She goes through all the tests to prove she has earned her spot in the Faction, and made friends along the way. One person in particular catches her eye, but does not know where their loyalties lie: the government or to their own beliefs. Can Beatrice find loyalty among her faction? Or are they just the government’s puppets?

The Factions:

What is a Faction? When citizens are divided in that match their values and capabilities.

Abnegation: where one is willing to give anything and everything to help another (Beatrice was born into the Faction).

Amity: forgiving as easily as forgetting, kindness, and where one is at peace.

Erudite: one whose curiosity never seems to end, along with the pride in their intelligence.

Candor- in where one can not lie for the life of them.

Dauntless- always up for the test and not afraid of nothing.

Factionless- where you failed all the tests that were set up for you and are no longer welcomed to a Faction.

Who would I recommend this book to?

The story building is not one in which someone can not wrap their head around, and the chapters are a good length. It does not have any explicit imagery or talk of sex, so it is suited for kids in middle school and up.

Opinion:

In all, I loved the book. It is a book in which you can pick up, and never put down. The characters are well explained and are limited, so you do not have to go back to remember who they are. Of course, as someone who loves romance, I totally LOVED the chemistry between Beatrice and Four. I mean come one! Who does not like the person who tries to stay away from you, but eventually falls to their knees.

The world building was probably my favorite, since I never read something similar to it. Though it is dystopian fiction, Roth created it into her own works.